WESTFIELD, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's and women's cross country teams both cracked the top 10 among more than two dozen programs competing in Westfield State University's James Earley Invitational on Saturday at Stanley Park. The men placed seventh while the women were eighth.
- The Saint Michael's men finished seventh among 26 squads with 266 points, within 11 points of Williams College, which was ranked third in the latest U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Division III national poll. They bested their closest Northeast-10 Conference counterpart, the University of New Haven, by 43 points. Saint Michael's had its highest finish ever at the meet.
- On the women's side, the Purple Knights also recorded their top showing at the invitational, besting their ninth-place 2018 showing, by taking eighth out of 30 teams. With 248 points, they trimmed New Haven by three points and came within 14 of host Westfield State.
- The top seven Purple Knight women in the varsity race - and seven of the fastest eight they had run on Saturday between the two races - posted personal records. Five of the Purple and Gold's seven runners in the men's varsity race also PRed.
- Smith College, which was 10th in the latest USTFCCCA Division III Mideast Region poll, won the women's competition with 44 points, while Vassar College's men, ranked sixth in the Mideast, won with 34 points.
- Sophomore Noah Taracena (Hampton, N.H./Winnacunnet)
- 24th of 163 runners in 8K race, 26:46.95 (PR)
- Junior Will Coppola (Groveland, Mass./Pentucket Regional)
- 40th, 27:31.22 (PR)
- Senior Jake Donnelly (Londonderry, N.H./Londonderry)
- 68th, 28:33.40
- Senior Matt Gianni (Stowe, Vt./Stowe)
- 72nd, 28:44.52 (PR)
- Senior James Downs (Winchester, Mass./Winchester)
- 89th, 29:11.20
- Junior Alex Frank (Colchester, Vt./Colchester)
- 106th, 29:47.29 (PR)
- First-year Pat McGloine (Schuylerville, N.Y./Schuylerville)
- 107th, 29:48.33 (PR)
- Sophomore Katie Culliton (Glens Falls, N.Y./Glens Falls)
- 40th of 176 runners in 5K varsity race, 19:57:07 (PR)
- Senior Ingrid Boland (Old Saybrook, Conn./Old Saybrook Senior)
- 45th, 20:08.81 (PR)
- Junior Maggie Burnham (Holden, Mass./Wachusett Regional)
- 46th, 20:09.34 (PR)
- Sophomore Abby Kittler (Pittsfield, Mass./Pittsfield)
- T-69th, 20:43.75 (PR)
- Junior Hallie Benton (Limerick, Maine/Massabesic)
- 71st, 20:44.25 (PR)
- First-year Addy Dolley (Brunswick, Maine/Brunswick)
- 80nd, 21:00.9 (PR)
- Junior Filippa Hemmestorp (Malmö, Sweden/Malmö Borgarskola)
- 85th, 21:06.5 (PR)
- Senior Hannah Muse (Yarmouth, Mass./Nauset Regional)
- 6th of 70 runners in 5K sub-varsity race, 20:59.53
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Oct. 24 at Northeast-10 Conference Championship at Saint Anselm College.
- The women begin at 11 a.m. before the men start at 12:15 p.m.