CASTLETON, Vt. - Thanks to placing five runners each in the top 10, the Saint Michael's College men's and women's cross country teams swept their way to Vermont Intercollegiate Championship titles on Friday afternoon at Castleton University. The men claimed the first state crown in program history, while the women secured their first championship since 2013, also at Castleton, and their second all-time.
- The women topped the five-school field with 29 points, outdistancing the host Spartans by 19 points. The state crown was their first since 2013, in a race also run at Castleton, and just their second all-time. It was at least their 28th consecutive top-three finish at the meet - complete records became available in 1992 - and their 22nd top-two placement in that time.
- The men were also first among five teams, as their 35 points trimmed second-place Castleton by five points en route to the first Vermont Intercollegiate Championship title in program history. The Purple and Gold had been the runner-up in 2018, their best showing at the meet since 1997.
- The victory was the women's squad's first since the Shacklette Invitational on Sept. 4, 2016, while the men nabbed their initial win since the Vermont Technical College Invitational on Sept. 12, 2015.
- The Purple Knights, who competed on consecutive weekends for the only time this year, took part in their second straight meet in the state of Vermont, having run at Middlebury College last Saturday.
- First-year Maggie Burnham (Holden, Mass./Wachusett Regional), 2nd of 30 runners in 5K race, 21:07
- Senior Emma Koukos (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 4th, 21:37
- Sophomore Ingrid Boland (Old Saybrook, Conn./Old Saybrook Senior), 6th, 21:50
- First-year Cailey Comiskey (Swanton, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union), 7th, 21:50 (PR)
- Sophomore Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 10th, 22:50
- Junior Molly Nemes (Plymouth, Mass./Sturgis Charter Public School), 12th, 23:16
- Sophomore Eleanor Devereux (Jericho, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union), 13th, 23:22
- First-year Grace Erholtz (Baxter, Minn./Brainerd), 14th, 23:35
- Sophomore Hannah Muse (Yarmouth, Mass./Nauset Regional), 15th, 23:42
- Sophomore Colleen Tubridy (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford), 16th, 23:57
- Sophomore Casey Reeder (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Springs), 17th, 24:04
- Senior Rachel Sullivan (Scituate, Mass./Scituate), 18th, 24:07
- Senior Sam Rossi (Wilton, Conn./Wilton), 19th, 24:10
- Junior Clea Edelman (Concord, Mass./Chapel Hill-Chauncy Hall School), 21st, 24:58
- College debut
- Sophomore Liam Gay-Killeen (Rowley, Mass./Triton Regional), 3rd of 32 runners in 8K race, 27:55 (PR)
- Sophomore Jake Donnelly (Londonderry, N.H./Londonderry), 5th, 29:35
- First-year Ethan Snook (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead), 8th, 30:04 (PR)
- Senior Christopher Bittel (San Jose, Calif./Bellarmine College Prep), 9th, 30:44
- Sophomore Matt Gianni (Stowe, Vt./Stowe), 10th, 30:51
- First-year Rolland Guay (Mooers, N.Y./Northeastern Clinton Central School), 14th, 31:53 (PR)
- Junior Bailey Roca (Greenlawn, N.Y./Harborfields), 15th, 31:59 (PR)
- Sophomore Tynan Reed (Stow, Mass./Landmark School), 18th, 33:55
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Oct. 12 at Université du Québec à Montréal Interlock Invitational at Park Maisonneuve in Montreal.
- The women's race starts at 11:30 a.m. before the men run at 12:30 p.m.