MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team hit the court for the first time under second-year head coach Jeanne Nauheimer '09 on Tuesday evening in Pepin Gymnasium, where the Purple Knights fell to Middlebury College, 3-0 (25-15, 25-12, 26-24). The Purple and Gold played for the first time since Nov. 16, 2019.
- Saint Michael's (0-1), Middlebury (1-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Abby Gallagher (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 7 kills, 3 digs, 1 ace
- Junior Beth Syverson (Huntington, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union/Emmanuel [Mass.]), 4 kills, 3 digs, 2 aces, 1 block
- Junior Brigid Heinrich (Syracuse, N.Y./Westhill), 3 kills, .600 hitting, 1 block
- Junior Caroline Curley (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), 3 kills, 1 block
- Sophomore Haley Stanton (Nashua, N.H./Nashua North), 3 kills, 1 block
- First-year Aaliyah Huihui-Martinez (Salinas, Calif./Notre Dame), 9 digs, 2 assists, 1 ace
- First-year Sydney Krause (Saginaw, Mich./Valley Lutheran), 9 assists, 2 kills, 1 block
- First-year Alexandra Báez Rentas (San Juan, Puerto Rico/New Dimensions), 7 assists, 6 digs, 1 ace
- Senior Jaeden Cruz (Makakilo, Hawaii/Saint Francis School), 5 digs
- Senior Corley Doyle, 9 kills, .600 hitting, 3 blocks
- Senior Maggie Wise, 7 kills, 6 digs
- Sophomore Katie Kraczkowsky, 7 kills
- Senior Jane Nelson, 6 kills, 5 digs
- First-year Gabbie O'Toole, 20 assists
- The Purple Knights competed for the first time since Nov. 16, 2019.
- Second-year head coach Jeanne Nauheimer '09 made her college coaching debut.
- Six Purple Knights made their college debuts, while another saw her first action wearing Purple and Gold.
- The Purple Knights used a 5-1 run, highlighted by kills from Stanton and sophomore Caitlin O'Connor (Bourne, Mass./Bourne) and an ace by first-year Syrah Wright (Richmond, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union), to nab an 8-6 lead in the opening set. Middlebury responded with a 12-2 run. Syverson's kill brought Saint Michael's within 19-13, but six of the final eight points went to the Panthers.
- Middlebury scored the first four points of set No. 2 and led 8-3 before a 6-2 run by the visitors brought them within 10-9. Syverson had a kill and an ace in that time, while Gallagher both dropped a kill. The Panthers responded with 13 of the next 14 points to pull away.
- Gallagher's ace capped a 4-1 spurt to begin the third set before the teams swapped surges. A 7-0 swing by Middlebury gave it a 10-5 lead, but the Purple Knights later utilized a 5-0 run to knot the teams at 11. Curley and Gallagher had kills and Huihui-Martinez an ace.
- The Panthers went ahead by as much as 16-14, but Syverson downed an ace to force the first of four straight ties (16-16). Two aces from sophomore Kelly Ferrero kicked off a 3-0 spurt, and the hosts faced match point by leading 24-20 on O'Toole's ace.
- The Purple Knights rallied to tie the set at 24-24, with Gallagher and Syverson each netting a kill, Báez Rentas posting an ace, and a Middlebury attack error leaving the squads level. However, Doyle netted a kill for the next point before joining with Wise on a block to clinch the match.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Saturday in a tri-meet at Plymouth State University.
- The Purple Knights face the hosts at 12 p.m. and the University of New England at 2 p.m.