COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team opened its season with a 7-0 loss to the University of New Haven on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play at the SMC Tennis Courts. The contest was the Purple Knights' first under new head coach Jerry Peach.
- Saint Michael's (0-1, 0-1 NE10), New Haven (1-0, 1-0 NE10)
- Senior Emma Jane Tagliaferro (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) and sophomores Molly Gannon (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury), Liberty Jackson (West Newbury, Mass./Pentucket Regional) and Natalle Meiler (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington) all made their college debuts.
- Gannon and Meiler lost their initial match at No. 2 doubles before seniors Ava Albis (Hamden, Conn./Hamden) and Bree Cotroneo (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union) fell in the top spot, allowing the Chargers to clinch the doubles point. Jackson and Tagliaferro sided for a setback at No. 3.
- In singles play, Cotroneo, Jackson and Meiler were turned back in the No. 2, 3 and 4 positions, respectively, as New Haven clinched the match victory.
- Albis followed with a loss at No. 1 before Tagliaferro was defeated at six and Gannon at five.
- Sunday vs. Adelphi University, 11 a.m.
- The Panthers were eighth in the final 2022 NCAA East Region Poll.