Posted: Sep 12, 2021
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team opened Northeast-10 Conference play with a 6-1 loss to Assumption University on Sunday at the Assumption Tennis Courts.
- Saint Michael's (1-2, 0-1 NE10), Assumption (1-0, 1-0 NE10)
- Senior Annie Serkes (Garden City, N.Y./Sacred Heart Academy), 1 win
- The Purple Knights opened Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Serkes remained undefeated in singles, at 3-0, during her first NE10 match since Oct. 12, 2019. The three-match winning streak is the longest of her career.
- The Greyhounds swept doubles play to nab an early 1-0 lead, with the Purple Knights' No. 1 tandem of senior Elly McKenna (Lowell, Mass./Lowell Catholic) and junior Ava Albis (Hamden, Conn./Hamden) losing by a 6-3 count during their team's closest contest.
- Senior Abby Edelmann (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) and junior Bree Cotroneo (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union) fell in the second spot before Serkes and senior Sarah Knickerbocker (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex) dropped a decision at No. 3.
- Serkes rallied for a 4-6, 7-5, 10-3 win at No. 5 singles to capture the Purple and Gold's point.
- Albis, Edelmann, Cotroneo, McKenna and first-year Emma Posada (Peru, N.Y./Peru) lost in straight sets at No. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, respectively.
- Tuesday vs. regionally-ranked Le Moyne College, 3 p.m.
- The Dolphins were seventh in last year's final Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Region poll.