COLCHESTER, Vt. - Four Saint Michael's College women's tennis players won twice on Wednesday during a 6-1 victory against the State University of New York at Plattsburgh in the Tarrant Recreation Center. Megan Collins earned the first win of her college head coaching career in the process.
- Saint Michael's (1-1), SUNY Plattsburgh (1-2)
- Senior Abby Edelmann (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional), 2 wins
- Senior Elly McKenna (Lowell, Mass./Lowell Catholic), 2 wins
- Junior Ava Albis (Hamden, Conn./Hamden), 2 wins
- Junior Bree Cotroneo (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union), 2 wins
- Senior Annie Serkes (Garden City, N.Y./Sacred Heart Academy), 1 win
- Cotroneo earned the first wins of her career.
- Albis and McKenna improved to 2-0 in doubles this season. McKenna is now 10-4 for her career.
- McKenna claimed her initial singles win since Oct. 2, 2018, appearing in just her sixth singles match today.
- Albis and Serkes remained perfect in singles, both moving to 2-0.
- Megan Collins secured the first victory of her college head coaching career.
- The Purple Knights won their 14th consecutive meeting with the Cardinals, improving to 19-5 since the series began in 1980.
- The Purple Knights clinched the doubles point with a pair of tidy victories, as Albis and McKenna sided for a 6-1 win at No. 1 before Cotroneo and Edelmann completed a 6-2 triumph in the second spot.
- Serkes and senior Sarah Knickerbocker (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex) fell by a slim 6-4 count at No. 3.
- During singles play, Cotroneo (6-1, 6-2) and Albis (6-2, 6-1) downed their foes at No. 3 and 1, respectively, in succession to push the Purple Knights to a 3-0 lead.
- Edelmann secured Saint Michael's the team victory by outlasting her opponent in the second spot, 7-6 (8-6), 6-3.
- McKenna (6-0, 6-3) and Serkes (6-2, 6-3) followed with straight-set victories in the fourth and fifth positions, respectively.
- Knickerbocker put together a close opening set during an eventual 7-5, 6-1 loss at No. 6.
- Sunday at Assumption University, 1 p.m.
- The Purple Knights open Northeast-10 Conference play with the match.