COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College rallied for a 2-1 victory over regionally-ranked Pace University during Senior Day on Saturday at Duffy Field in a Northeast-10 Conference affair. The Setters were eighth in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region Poll.
The Purple Knights honored their 11 seniors during a pregame ceremony: Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), Grace Gallo (Franklin, Mass./Franklin), Cassidy Koons (Standish, Maine/Bonny Eagle), Katie Marullo (Enfield, Conn./Enfield), Jordyn Morey (Chelmsford, Mass./Lowell Catholic), Grace Rava (Wilton, Conn./Wilton), Zoe Rogers (Shelton, Conn./Shelton), Julia Rosano (Framingham, Mass./Framingham), Izzy Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), Paulina Valentine (New Hyde Park, N.Y./Kellenberg Memorial) and Maggie Varley (Islip, N.Y./Saint John the Baptist Diocesan).
- Saint Michael's (2-3-4, 1-3-3 NE10), Pace (4-5-2, 2-4 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Escobedo, 1 save
- Ruprecht, 1 assist
- Junior Claire Williams (Saint Leonard, Md./Calvert), 1 goal
- First-year Faith Kosiba (Dunstable, Mass./Groton-Dunstable Regional), 1 goal (1st career)
- Junior Sam Page (Merrimack, N.H./Merrimack), 1 assist
- Sophomore Allison Carr, 1 goal
- First-year Anna Fiore, 2 saves in 45 minutes
- Sophomore Annabella Cole, 2 saves in 45 minutes of relief, loss
- Saint Michael's entered the day tied for first in the NCAA Division II East Region in goals-against average (0.50), having yielded four goals in eight games. Carr's marker was just the fifth allowed by the Purple Knights this season.
- This marked the 25th time in its past 28 outings since 2019 that Saint Michael's played a contest decided by one goal or less.
- Pace held edges in shots (12-10) and corner kicks (6-4).
- The teams played their third straight one-goal affair, with Saint Michael's winning at home for the first time over Pace since Sept. 24, 2011.
- Carr put the Setters in front at 27:21, curling a left-footed bid into the upper left corner after first-year Anna English collected a giveaway in the Purple Knight defensive third and slid a through ball.
- Rogers nearly leveled the teams in the 32nd minute, one-touching a through ball near the top of the box, but a sliding Fiore cleared the shot out of danger.
- In the 34th minute, the hosts had a second chance after the Setters failed to clear a corner kick. Page collected a loose ball on the left side of the box and centered, and a mistouch by a Pace player ended up at the feet of Williams, who scored past a diving netminder.
- The Purple Knights went ahead early in the second half, with Ruprecht intercepting a Setter pass and slipping a ball to Kosiba, who switched feet before curling a left-footed shot inside the left post at 50:44.
- Williams nearly added to the lead in the 55th minute, if not for a diving Cole denying her header try.
- Carr had a chance to knot the contest in the 65th minute, taking a through ball just inside the box but pushing a shot wide right with Escobedo applying pressure.
- A final Setter corner kick sequence in the last minute ended with a clear off of a Pace player out of bounds.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. University of Maine Fort Kent, 6 p.m.
- The Bengals are ranked first in the latest United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Division I national poll.