MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College women's soccer team continued a challenging run of games with a 2-1 loss at regionally-ranked Saint Anselm College on Wednesday during a Northeast-10 Conference contest at Melucci Field. The Hawks were ninth in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region Poll, and were the Purple Knights' fourth consecutive opponent that is currently either nationally or regionally ranked.
- Saint Michael's (1-3-2, 0-3-1 NE10), Saint Anselm (6-2, 2-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Claire Williams (Saint Leonard, Md./Calvert), 1 goal
- Senior Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), 4 saves
- Junior Delaney Glode, 1 goal
- Sophomore Josie Pecor, 1 goal
- Junior Olivia Gotobed, 2 assists
- First-year Emma Hudson, 8 saves
- Saint Anselm held an 18-12 lead in shots, but the Purple Knights registered advantages in shots on goal (9-8) and corner kicks (7-3).
- This marked the 22nd time in its past 25 outings since 2019 that Saint Michael's played a contest decided by one goal or less.
- This was the fifth consecutive meeting decided by one goal or less.
- The Purple Knights' four-game run included Southern Connecticut State University, which is currently regionally ranked, on Sept. 10; The College of Saint Rose, which was ranked second nationally, last Wednesday; and regionally-ranked Adelphi University this past Saturday. The Purple and Gold was 0-3-1 in that time, with each loss by one goal. Saint Michael's knotted Saint Rose, 0-0.
- Saint Anselm got on the board at 21:28 of the first half, as Pecor took Gotobed's through ball before sliding a shot inside the left netting beyond a diving Escobedo.
- Sophomore back Melanie Winters (Montpelier, Vt./Montpelier/SUNY Plattsburgh) sprinted to clear first-year Madison DiNapoli's shot on a vacated net off of the goal line in the 38th minute, and Escobedo covered the loose ball.
- Williams corralled a loose ball at the edge of the box in the 58th and lifted a shot over Hudson to knot the contest.
- A Purple Knight field player again made a goal-saving play during the 64th minute, with senior back Jordyn Morey (Chelmsford, Mass./Lowell Catholic) blocking sophomore Erin Rutherford's look at an open net.
- Shortly thereafter, Escobedo denied Gotobed's point-blank bid, but Glode slid to knock the winner just inside the left post at 65:46.
- The visitors sent three shots on frame between the 68th and 74th minutes, with Hudson stopping them all, and first-year Faith Kosiba (Dunstable, Mass./Groton-Dunstable Regional) curled a dangerous ball through the goal mouth in the 88th minute without finding the net or a pair of teammates crashing the far post.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Le Moyne College, 3 p.m.