SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Sophomore Claire Williams (Saint Leonard, Md./Calvert) scored in the 55th minute, and the Saint Michael's College women's soccer team finished the year with its seventh shutout, a 1-0 win over Le Moyne College on Wednesday at Ted Grant Field in Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (6-7-4, 3-6-4 NE10), Le Moyne (2-10-3, 1-9-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Williams, 1 goal
- Junior Izzy Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 1 assist
- Junior Paulina Valentine (New Hyde Park, N.Y./Kellenberg Memorial), 1 assist
- Junior Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), 0 saves
- Junior Allison Moreau, 5 saves
- Williams became the sixth different Saint Michael's player with a game-winning goal this fall, netting her first career marker in the process.
- Seventeen of the Purple Knights' last 19 games since 2019 were decided by a goal or less, including 15 of 17 this season. All six of the Purple and Gold's wins came by a 1-0 final, a school record.
- Saint Michael's won six games in consecutive seasons for the first time since 2006-08. The Purple Knights registered their highest winning percentage since 2008.
- Keyed by Escobedo and first-year Jenna Braun (Stockholm, N.J./Green Mountain Valley School), who had a shutout in her only start, the Purple Knights notched seven shutouts, tying the 2006 and 2008 squads for second in program history. Only the 1989 team had more, with 10.
- Saint Michael's turned in a 0.94 goals-against average for the season, trailing only the 2006 team (0.92) and 1989 squad (0.88) in program annals.
- Escobedo's five shutouts tied for third in school history, shy of Ashleigh Adams' '12 six in 2008 and Trish Hannan's '90 eight in 1989. She is already tied for seventh in career clean sheets with the five. Escobedo's 1.02 GAA this year is fifth in program history, and the lowest since Brittany Cocozza '12 posted an 0.93 figure in 2010.
- Saint Michael's outshot the Dolphins, 13-3, while each team took four corner kicks.
- The Purple Knights and Dolphins played their third straight 1-0 contest, with Saint Michael's winning the past two. The Purple and Gold won at Le Moyne for the first time since Oct. 1, 2011.
- The teams combined for six shots in the opening half, with junior Katie Marullo's (Enfield, Conn./Enfield) shot from the right side of the box sending Moreau into a dive in the 38th minute.
- Late in the 54th minute, senior back Maggie Taylor (Lake Forest Park, Wash./Shorecrest) dumped a long free kick into the Dolphin box, where both teams jostled for possession before Williams slipped home the game's only goal at 54:06. Ruprecht and Valentine both got touches in the box before Williams' tally.
- In the 79th minute, senior Hannah Brown Trice briefly got behind the defense at the right side of the box, but her close-range bid - Le Moyne's only shot of the half - was blocked out of bounds by backtracking senior back Brooke Caragher (Milton, Vt./Milton). Including the ensuing corner kick, the Dolphins had a few possessions in the Purple Knight end during a short span but ultimately threw a sideline throw-in beyond the end line.