COLCHESTER, Vt. - Caldwell University graduate student Teaghan Darling scored with 30.8 seconds remaining in the second overtime on Sunday as the Saint Michael's College women's soccer team lost a 3-2 decision at Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (1-1), Caldwell (1-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Zoe Rogers (Shelton, Conn./Shelton), 1 goal
- Junior Izzy Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 1 goal
- Junior Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), 4 saves
- Graduate student Teaghan Darling, 1 goal
- Junior Sarah Costanza, 1 goal
- Sophomore Kelly Weaver, 1 goal
- Senior Jamie-Lee Bombard, 6 saves
- Ruprecht buried a penalty kick for the second straight game.
- The Purple and Gold held a 20-16 edge in shots, while the Cougars took six of eight corner kicks.
- Saint Michael's had a pair of streaks come to an end in the loss. The Purple Knights had been 4-0-1 in their last five home games, while their shutout run of 440:37 at Duffy Field dating back to Oct. 19, 2019, was halted.
- The teams are 1-1-1 in three all-time meetings, with today's contest their first since Sept. 4, 2005.
- The Purple Knights had shut out their last six non-conference opponents while going 10-1-1 against non-Northeast-10 Conference foes since 2014.
- Caldwell got on the board just 1:02 into the contest, when Costanza headed home junior Nicole Alfano's cross out front.
- Rogers knotted the teams at 24:13, carrying into space and blasting a shot from 30 yards out just under the crossbar and over a leaping Bamford.
- Escobedo maintained the tie by making a sprawling save of sophomore Isabella Tabja at the left side of the net in the 44th minute before diving to the right post and denying sophomore Ashley Georgevich's back-heel follow-up bid.
- Ruprecht netted a 61st-minute penalty kick to put the hosts in front.
- In the 79th minute, sophomore Kayla Neves' free kick from the left side was headed home by Weaver for the equalizer.
- Senior Hannah Marino's bid from 20 yards sailed just above the bar in the 86th minute, and the teams headed to overtime.
- During the 103rd minute, in the second extra session, Escobedo intercepted a corner kick cross under pressure, and junior Katie Marullo (Enfield, Conn./Enfield) nearly ended the game in the 106th minute, drilling a high shot that Bamford tipped off the crossbar.
- First-year Alexa Peto headed a bid off the crossbar early in the 108th minute, but Darling put home her team's third header goal with 30.8 seconds left, converting Marino's long free kick into the box.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. Dominican (N.Y.) College, 3:30 p.m.