COLCHESTER, Vt. - Saint Michael's College women's soccer junior Izzy Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional) buried a 65th-minute penalty kick to deliver the Purple Knights a season-opening 1-0 victory against Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College on Thursday at Duffy Field. Saint Michael's extended its home unbeaten streak to five games while playing for the first time since Nov. 5, 2019.
- Saint Michael's (1-0), Roberts Wesleyan (0-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Izzy Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 1 goal
- Junior Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), 1 save
- Sophomore Nicolette Knauf, 9 saves
- Ruprecht tallied her third career goal, and first game-winner.
- Escobedo earned both her first college win and shutout while making her second career start.
- The Purple Knights held a sizeable advantage in shots (18-5) while trimming the visitors in corner kicks, 5-4.
- Saint Michael's extended its home unbeaten streak to five games, at 4-0-1, outscoring opponents 6-1 during that time.
- The Purple Knights has a 439:35 home shutout streak since last yielding a goal on Duffy Field on Oct. 19, 2019.
- The Purple and Gold is now 2-0 all-time against the Redhawks, also winning by a 1-0 count on Sept. 21, 2019, in Rochester, N.Y.
- Saint Michael's snapped Roberts Wesleyan's five-game unbeaten run, as the Redhawks were 4-0-1 during their 2021 spring season. They had been 7-1-2 since November 2019, losing only in a 2019 National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) Tournament national semifinal.
- Saint Michael's opened its schedule with a home contest for the first time since 2016.
- Knauf laid out to tip away first-year Christina Cummings' (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury) bid in the 12th minute.
- Sophomore Sam Page (Merrimack, N.H./Merrimack) nearly gave the Purple Knights the lead, settling a corner kick cross and firing toward the left side of the net in the 21st minute, but a Redhawk field player cleared the bid off the goal line.
- Junior Zoe Rogers (Shelton, Conn./Shelton) sent Knauf to the ground to cover her attempt in the 52nd minute.
- At the 64:44 mark, the Purple Knights earned a penalty kick, and Ruprecht placed her shot inside the left post and well beyond an outstretched Knauf for the game's lone goal.
- Sophomore Gabrielle Ciambella nearly found the equalizer off of a corner kick in the 77th minute, but senior Maggie Taylor (Lake Forest Park, Wash./Shorecrest) cleared her shot out of danger at the left post. That proved to be the visitors' final shot of the game.
- Ruprecht nearly doubled the lead early in the 82nd minute, but her drive from 25 yards toward the bottom of the crossbar was tipped by Knauf up and ultimately to herself.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday vs. Caldwell (N.J.) University, 11 a.m.