ROCHESTER, N.Y. - First-year Rileigh Cinquegrano's (North Andover, Mass./North Andover) seventh-minute goal stood as the only scoring as the Saint Michael's College women's soccer team beat Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College, 1-0, on Saturday at the Roberts Wesleyan Soccer Stadium.
- Saint Michael's (3-2), Roberts Wesleyan (4-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Rileigh Cinquegrano (North Andover, Mass./North Andover), 1 goal (1st career)
- Sophomore Emma Houston (Lunenburg, Mass./Lunenburg), 1 assist
- Junior Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), 9 saves
- Senior Kelsey Brinkel, 5 saves
- Vallatini's nine saves are a season high.
- The Purple Knights led in corners, 5-4, with each coming in the second half.
- This was the first meeting between the Purple Knights and Redhawks.
- This was the Purple and Gold's third 1-0 game this year.
- In the seventh minute of play, Cinquegrano took a wide pass from Houston, touched inside one defender and fired from outside the left corner of the 18, hitting the upper left corner for a goal just 6:18 into the match.
- At 17:46, a shot by the Redhawks was saved by Vallatini, and then just 16 seconds later, another shot was saved by the keeper.
- In the final seconds of the first half, the Redhawks sent in a corner kick that found the foot of junior Dejah Cooper, whose first shot was blocked before she grabbed the rebound and sent a second shot wide of the goal.
- In 66th minute, a save by Vallatini led to quick break for Saint Michael's that ended with a shot by first-year Julia Rosano (Framingham, Mass./Framingham) that was saved by Brinkel, leading to a corner kick that yielded no shots. That Redhawk bid was Roberts Wesleyan's final shot of the game, as the Purple Knights held a 7-0 advantage in shots over the final 24:24.
- In the 79th minute, the Purple Knights served a corner kick for Houston, whose shot was saved by Brinkel.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. regionally-ranked Stonehill College, 3:30 p.m.
- Stonehill is ranked No. 10 in the East Region according to the United Soccer Coaches.
- This is the Purple Knights' Play with Pride Game