LINCOLN UNIVERSITY, Pa. - Junior Kara Bassett (New London, Conn./Saint Bernard School) had five points to lead six multi-point scorers as the Saint Michael's College women's soccer team blanked Lincoln (Pa.) University, 9-0, on Sunday at Lions Stadium.
- Saint Michael's (2-0), Lincoln (0-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Kara Bassett (New London, Conn./Saint Bernard School), 2 goals (1st career), 1 assist
- Sophomore Dora Barrett (Medford, Mass./Medford), 1 goal (1st career), 2 assists
- Senior Greta Ricigliano (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet), 2 goals
- First-year Julia Rosano (Framingham, Mass./Framingham), 2 goals (1st career)
- Junior Tess McCabe (Cataumet, Mass./Bourne), 1 goal (1st career)
- Junior Victoria Zambello (Sharon, Mass./Sharon), 1 goal
- Junior Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), 1 save in 45 minutes
- First-year Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), 0 saves in 45 minutes of relief
- Senior Lena Rodriguez, 11 saves
- Second of Purple Knights' two weekend road games to open season.
- The teams faced each other for the first time.
- Saint Michael's won its first two games of the season for the first time since 2008, when it started 3-0.
- Ricigliano scored twice in the first 14 minutes to quickly give her team a 2-0 lead. At 6:02, she connected from 15 yards out and hit the upper right corner off of sophomore Maggie Taylor's (Lake Forest Park, Wash./Shorecrest) assist. Midway through the 14th minute, Bassett's initial shot was denied by Rodriguez, but Ricigliano pounced on the rebound.
- Rosano added her first two collegiate tallies just 9:47 apart, first putting home Barrett's cross at 27:13 before making it 4-0 off of another Barrett assist at the 37-minute mark.
- The Purple Knights scored the next three goals in a 20:16 span of the second half. First-year Izzy Ruprecht's (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional) pass sprung Zambello for a breakaway goal at 58:59 before Bassett scored on a breakaway from the left side with 66:01 gone. At 71:02, Bassett blasted home a shot from 15 yards, and Barrett converted a penalty kick at 79:15.
- McCabe deposited the final Saint Michael's goal late in the 89th minute, knocking home senior back Meghan Dieterle's (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) lead pass.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Pace University, 12 p.m.
- That contest will be the Purple Knights' home opener and first Northeast-10 Conference match.