SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - Sophomore Angelina Ruiz (Independence, Minn./Gentry Academy) scored twice to lead five goal scorers as the Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team opened the 2022-23 season with a 6-2 New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) victory over Post University on Friday in Cairns Arena. The Purple Knights were bolstered by a 4-for-5 showing on the power play.
- Saint Michael's (1-0, 1-0 NEWHA), Post (0-1, 0-1 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Ruiz, 2 goals, +1
- Senior Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley), 3 assists, +1, 14-for-32 faceoffs
- Senior Callie Wiley (Andover, Mass./Andover), 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 blocked shots
- Junior Jace Zapata (Brea, Calif./Gentry Academy), 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 blocked shots, +1
- Junior Mary Leys (Newport, R.I./Saint George's School), 1 goal
- First-year Elisabeth Gerebi (Victoria, Minn./Chanhassen), 1 goal (1st career), 6-for-11 faceoffs
- Junior Carissa Mudrak (Duluth, Minn./Gentry Academy), 40 saves
- Sophomore Grace Canterbury (Eagle River, Alaska/Shattuck-Saint Mary's School), 2 assists
- Senior Maeghan Kennard (Hamlin, N.Y./Niagara Jr. Purple Eagles), 1 assist, 12-for-20 faceoffs
- Sophomore Kiersten Browning, 1 goal
- First-year Madeleine Noonan, 1 goal
- Junior Grace Glasrud, 17 saves
- The Purple Knights played the earliest contest in program history.
- Saint Michael's held a 35-34 edge in faceoffs while being outshot, 42-23.
- Mudrak notched her first collegiate victory.
- Noonan put Post on the board 2:31 into the contest, going glove side from the left circle.
- Saint Michael's netted a pair of power-play goals 2:04 apart during the latter portion of the opening frame. Zapata floated home the equalizer from the blue line with 13:04 gone, as Kennard and Canterbury assisted, before Wiley pushed home a loose puck following Harrison's initial saved shot at 15:08. Junior Mikaela Langbacka (Lorton, Va./Washington Pride) added the secondary helper.
- The Purple Knights padded their lead in the second period at the 15:09 mark, with Gerebi depositing the puck from out front after senior Jordan Lettiere's (Belmont, Mass./Belmont) pass from the left circle was deflected by classmate Sophia Burns (Syracuse, N.Y./Syracuse Nationals).
- The teams combined for four goals during a 7:46 span of the third period. Ruiz scored her first at 5:45, picking the corner from the right circle on a power play, and tallied again just 1:45 later. Harrison lent the primary helper on both, while Wiley and sophomore Gaby Tribelli (Montreal, Quebec/Dawson College) had secondary assists on the first and second, respectively.
- Browning scored on a power play to make it 5-2 at 10:28, backhanding home a shot from out front.
- Leys potted another woman-up goal at 13:31, putting home a rebound after Canterbury was denied. Zapata added another assist.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Post, 4 p.m.