MANCHESTER, N.H. - The sixth-seeded Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team took a second-period lead before narrowly falling to No. 3 Saint Anselm College, 2-1, during the opening round of the New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) Tournament on Tuesday in Sullivan Arena.
- Saint Michael's (3-23-1), Saint Anselm (15-12-3)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Ella Saracco (Melrose, Mass./Austin Prep), 1 goal
- Senior Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley), 1 assist, 6 faceoff wins, 3 blocks
- Sophomore Mikaela Langbacka (Lorton, Va./Washington Pride), 1 assist
- Sophomore Leah White (Hingham, Mass./The Winchendon School), 39 saves
- Sophomore Jenna Hoops (Woodbury, Minn./Saint Paul United), 14-for-16 faceoffs
- Senior Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks), 2 blocks
- Sophomore Emma Kelly (Dorchester, Mass./Boston Latin School), 2 blocks
- Junior Maeghan Kennard (Hamlin, N.Y./Niagara Jr. Purple Eagles), 7-for-15 faceoffs
- Senior Erin Meyers, 2 assists
- Senior Kelly Golini, 1 goal, 12-for-25 faceoffs
- First-year Tyra Turner, 1 goal
- Junior Allie Kelley, 20 saves
- While the Purple Knights went 0-3-1 in their final four meetings with Saint Anselm this year, the losses were decided by a combined five goals.
- Between last weekend's regular-season-ending two-game series and tonight, Saint Michael's dominated Saint Anselm on faceoffs, going 96-for-157 (61.1%), led by Hoops' 41-for-53 (77.4%) effort. The Purple Knights were 28-for-49 at the dot during tonight's contest.
- Courtney Kelly appeared in her school-record 108th career game, breaking a tie with Alissa Sullivan '20 for first place.
- White finished the season with a program-rookie-record 681 saves, good for seventh in school annals, and within eight of sixth place. Her .917 save percentage was fifth in program history.
- Saint Michael's had a chance to go in front around 12:45 of the opening period, as Harrison had a shot blocked, with the rebound redirecting to Saracco, whose follow-up bid was swiped out of the air by Kelley.
- In the closing seconds, sophomore Mary Leys (Newport, R.I./Saint George's School) corralled a turnover just outside the Hawk zone before dishing for Hoops, whose bid from the right circle forced Kelley into a right-pad save. Leys fought for the rebound, with a Saint Anselm player inadvertently knocking it to Hoops, who missed just wide of the right post with 20 seconds remaining.
- The Purple Knights went up at 9:23 of the second period. After a turnover just outside the Hawk blue line, Harrison collected the giveaway and gained the zone before Langbacka ultimately sent a shot wide left of the net. Harrison chipped the loose puck back to Langbacka, whose pass from behind the net clipped a Saint Anselm skate on the way to the slot, where a charging Saracco beat Kelley to her glove hand.
- Saint Anselm gained the lead with two goals in a 50-second span late in the period. During a power play, sophomore Savannah Popick backhanded a pass into the low slot for Turner, who went five-hole from up close at 15:15.
- Less than a minute later, Meyers' shot from above the right circle was denied by White, who sprawled to drag in the rebound with her stick, but a teammate unintentionally poked the puck to an unmarked Golini, who found the open net at 16:05.
- In a 2-1 game, White made a pad save of Turner at 14:40 of the third period before Turner drove a second bid back into the crease, which the netminder stopped but didn't control. Leys and sophomore Jace Zapata (Brea, Calif./Gentry Academy) helped block the crease before the puck was fired out of danger.
- With White pulled for an extra skater for the final 44 seconds, Saint Michael's was unable to put a tying shot on net, as only Courtney Kelly took a shot, which Turner blocked with seven seconds to go.