SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team lost to Long Island University, 5-1, on Tuesday during New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) play at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (3-20-1, 1-16-1 NEWHA), LIU (15-14-3, 13-3-2 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Grace Canterbury (Eagle River, Alaska/Shattuck-Saint Mary's School), 1 goal
- Junior Ella Saracco (Melrose, Mass./Middlesex Islanders), 1 assist
- Sophomore Carissa Mudrak (Duluth, Minn./Gentry Academy), career-high-tying 56 saves
- Junior Maeghan Kennard (Hamlin, N.Y./Niagara Jr. Purple Eagles), 1 assist, 5 faceoff wins, 3 blocks
- Sophomore Jenna Hoops (Woodbury, Minn./Saint Paul United), 10-for-25 faceoffs
- Senior Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley), 4 faceoff wins, 3 blocks
- Senior Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks), 3 blocks
- Sophomore Jace Zapata (Brea, Calif./Gentry Academy), 3 blocks
- First-year Jeannie Wallner, 1 goal, 2 assists
- Junior Alva Johnsson, 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year Maggie Korneta, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Grace Dima, 1 goal
- Junior Stella Scott, 1 goal
- First-year Tindra Holm, 14 saves
- Kelly played her 105th career game, and is now two shy of Alissa Sullivan's '20 school mark of 107.
- The Purple Knights blocked 21 shots.
- Saint Michael's finished off a run of four games in five days while playing its regular-season home finale.
- Mudrak made a point-blank stop of Wallner at 8:40 of the opening period to keep the teams scoreless.
- With 9:42 gone, Dima slipped a shot from the right point toward the crease, where it hit a Purple Knight player's skate and deflected in.
- Mudrak kept it 1-0 at the 12-minute mark, extending her leg to deny junior Megan Bouveur's shot from the left circle with her left skate.
- During an LIU power play in the late stages, Mudrak stopped Johnsson's shot before Zapata neutralized Wallner's rebound bid, locking her up long enough for the netminder to also save her shot at 17:35.
- LIU scored the first two goals of the second period, with Johnsson shoveling a shot in at 48 seconds with Mudrak prone, and Wallner went to her backhand to score on a rebound at 9:39.
- Canterbury cut into the deficit with 11:02 gone, putting back a rebound of her own blocked shot. Saracco dished the primary assist, and Kennard picked up the secondary helper.
- Directly off of a faceoff at 14:54, sophomore Mary Leys (Newport, R.I./Saint George's School) ripped a shot into Holm's body.
- Mudrak posted a pair of big stops during an ensuing LIU power play, making a glove save off of a rebound at 15:47 before again extending for a toe denial at 17:25.
- Scott and Korneta scored 4:16 apart early in the third period to ice the victory, with Scott taking a giveaway in the slot and slipping a shot inside the left post at 2:13 before Korneta carried two thirds of the ice and beat Mudrak to the glove corner at 6:29.
- Mudrak made a pad save of Wallner at 13:00 after a nice move out front, and she added a blocker save in the final minute off of Bouveur's good look from the slot.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday at Saint Anselm College, 7 p.m.