SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team lost to Post University, 6-0, during Senior Day on Saturday at Cairns Arena. The contest capped a two-game New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) weekend series.
The Purple Knights honored their four seniors with the contest: Gabriella Dicomitis (Warwick, R.I./Williston Northampton), Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley), Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks) and manager Tessa DeSisto (Groton, Mass./Groton-Dunstable Regional). Kelly is a fifth-year member of the program, while Harrison is slated to return for a fifth season in 2022-23.
- Saint Michael's (3-18-1, 1-14-1 NEWHA), Post (6-23, 3-15 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Dicomitis, career-high 41 saves
- Harrison, 11-for-21 faceoffs
- Junior Sophia Burns (Syracuse, N.Y./Syracuse Nationals), 3 blocks
- Sophomore Jace Zapata (Brea, Calif./Gentry Academy), 3 blocks
- Sophomore Jenna Hoops (Woodbury, Minn./Saint Paul United), 16-for-22 faceoffs
- Junior Maeghan Kennard (Hamlin, N.Y./Niagara Jr. Purple Eagles), 12-for-23 faceoffs
- Junior Catherine Proulx, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Sadie Storm, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Madison Turley, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Grace Glasrud, 32 saves
- The Purple Knights held a 39-27 lead in faceoff wins.
- Saint Michael's continued a run of four games in five days, as it hosts Long Island University on Monday and Tuesday.
- Dicomitis made a pair of stops during a first-period Post power play, including denying sophomore Jade Giesbrecht with her blocker at the right post with 12:30 left.
- Post broke the deadlock at 16:15, as Turley put home a backhanded shot into a vacated net after first-year Angeline Pitter's initial bid was blocked by first-year Gaby Tribelli (Montreal, Quebec/Dawson College) and shifted Dicomitis out of position.
- Dicomitis made a glove save on junior Jenna Abeyta's one-timer during an odd-woman rush at 18:35.
- Post doubled the lead with six seconds to go, as Storm knocked in a rebound of first-year Caisey Van Den Oetelaar's saved shot.
- First-year Grace Canterbury (Eagle River, Alaska/Shattuck-Saint Mary's School) nearly halved the deficit at 3:20 of the second period, only to see her redirection out front denied by Glasrud's stick save.
- First-year Kiersten Browning and Abeyta scored 4:35 apart later in the frame, with Browning putting home a rebound at 7:11 before Abeyta jammed home a second effort while falling down out front at 11:46.
- Sophomore Mikaela Langbacka (Lorton, Va./Washington Pride) made a nice move in the slot before sending Kennard toward goal early in the third period, with her shot out front stopped at 6:00.
- Proulx scored on a second effort at 11:40, and sophomore Delaney Mayer went left post and in from the right circle with 16:26 gone.
- In between, sophomore Mary Leys (Newport, R.I./Saint George's School) was alone on a breakaway but had a backhanded shot stopped by Glasrud at 12:30.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Monday vs. LIU, 7 p.m.