PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team stayed with regional power University of the Sciences on Saturday before losing a 64-46 decision in Bobby Morgan Arena during the USciences Conference Challenge. The Devil received votes toward the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) preseason national poll and qualified for the past four NCAA Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's (0-2), USciences (2-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 13 points, 3-for-6 three-pointers
- Redshirt junior Danielle Scaperrotta (Ardsley, N.Y./Ardsley), 11 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 4-for-7 field goals, 2-for-3 three-pointers
- Senior Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 10 points, 3 assists
- First-year Molly Brophy (Greenwich, N.Y./Greenwich Central School), 7 points, 2 steals
- Senior Jess Huber, 25 points, 3 steals, 3 blocks, 10-for-17 field goals, 5-for-10 three-pointers
- Junior Kendall Keyes, 19 points, 7-for-14 field goals, 4-for-8 three-pointers
- Junior Taylor Hamm, 8 rebounds, 4 assists
- The teams have now split four all-time meetings, squaring off today for the first time since Dec. 29, 2006.
- The Purple Knights were edged in rebounding, 35-34, while shooting 8-for-15 (53.3%) from three-point range.
- In a low-scoring affair from the charity stripe, Saint Michael's knocked down four free throws to USciences' one.
- An 8-0 surge by the visitors made it 11-5 with 1:59 left in the opening quarter, with Scaperrotta and senior Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School) capping the run by canning three-pointers 28 seconds apart.
- USciences scored the next 12 points during a 1:49 stretch, taking the lead before the end of the period, as Huber netted seven points.
- MacDonough and Anderson buried triples 1:21 apart, and Scaperrotta's tying jumper finished an 8-2 run to knot the teams at 19 with 6:27 left in the second quarter.
- Keyes' three snapped the tie 15 seconds later, but Saint Michael's was down just 25-23 after Brophy's lay-in at 3:45.
- Huber's three pushed the lead to 33-25 by 1:53, but Anderson's triple seven seconds into the third quarter brought her team within 33-29.
- The Devils finished the quarter on a 16-4 run, taking a 49-33 advantage.
- The Purple Knights strung together eight straight points to climb within 51-43 at 5:51 of the fourth quarter on Scaperrotta's three, but Huber made a three of her own 1:13 later, and the visitors never again trailed by fewer than eight points.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Next Saturday vs. No. 13 Stonehill College, 1:30 p.m.
- The Skyhawks' national ranking is according to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA).
- Stonehill won the 2019-20 Northeast-10 Conference Championship and qualified for the past three NCAA Tournaments.
- The Purple Knights will be supporting the College's Mobilization of Volunteer Efforts (MOVE) Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week food drive that day, accepting donations of non-perishable food items that will be donated to local food shelves. Fans will be admitted for free with three non-perishable food items.