NORTHFIELD, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's swimming & diving team downed Norwich University, 146-116, in Goodyear Pool on Thursday. The Purple Knight men lost, 172-124, as both Saint Michael's squads returned to action for the initial time since Nov. 20, taking part in the first of five meets in 11 days.
- Saint Michael's (2-3), Norwich (2-4)
- The Purple Knights won their 34th consecutive meeting
- Head coach Eileen Hall picked up her 50th career women's dual-meet win, joining Dave Leonard (57) and Jim Donoghue '70 (52) in the 50-win club at the helm of the women's program. Hall's .521 winning percentage is second only to Leonard's .576 clip
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Margaret Wilk (Hardyston, N.J./Pope John XXIII Regional), 4 wins
- Sophomore Emily McLane (Morrisonville, N.Y./Peru), 3 wins
- First-year Jessie Hart (Canton, Mass./Canton), 3 wins
- Sophomore Caroline Gust (North Andover, Mass./North Andover), 2 wins
- Senior Maggie King (Clinton, Conn./Mercy), 1 win
- First-year Kaylan Conliffe (Windsor, Conn./Windsor), 1 win
- First-year Elaine Gillan (Rensselaer, N.Y./Rensselaer), 1 win
- Wilk played a role in four of her team's nine victories, including both relays. She joined Gust, Hart and McLane for a meet-opening 400-yard medley relay (4:37.87) win before siding with Gillan, Gust and McLane on a 200-yard freestyle relay (1:49.65) triumph in the finale. Wilk also won the 200 free (2:10.07) and 200-yard individual medley (2:22.94).
- Hart, who entered the day with three wins this season, doubled that total by the end of Thursday. She took the 50-yard breaststroke (34.31), edging out McLane by 0.27 seconds, while winning the 500 free (6:07.72). Hart was the 1,000 free runner-up.
- McLane won the 100 breast (1:17.20), ending the day with three victories after coming into the meet with one this season. Conliffe was second in the race while touching the wall first in the 100-yard butterfly (1:07.52), ahead of the second-place Gust. Gust was second in the 50 fly, 0.16 ticks ahead of Conliffe.
- King won the first one-meter diving event (100.43) before placing third in the second (133.73), coming within 0.97 points of her dual-meet career high in the latter.
- Gillan nabbed second in the 50 free and third during the 100-yard backstroke.
- Sophomore Mary Kohn (Weston, Conn./Weston) took second in the 50 back, 100 free and 500 free. Classmate Rachel McAdams (Cromwell, Conn./Cromwell) was third in the 100 free, 500 free and 1,000 free.
- Saint Michael's (2-3), Norwich (5-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Nate Imbergamo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand), 3 wins
- Senior Sean McGurn (Braintree, Mass./Braintree), 2 wins
- First-year Thomas Kane (Sparta, N.J./Pope John XXIII Regional), 2 wins
- Sophomore Aleksa Jovanovic (Weymouth, Mass./Boston College HS), 1 win
- In his first career race, Jovanovic joined Imbergamo, Kane and McGurn to begin the meet by taking the 400 medley relay (3:53.51). Imbergamo later won the 50 back (26.68) and 100 back (58.62) races, with Jovanovic taking second in the latter. Kane won the 50 free (22.81) while placing second in the 100 breast.
- McGurn won the 200 IM (2:11.67) and was third in both the 100 fly and 500 free, missing out on second place in the former by 0.04 seconds.
- Imbergamo, Kane, sophomore Lucas Petruzziello (Lowell, Mass./Lowell) and first-year Will Englehardt (Sparta, N.J./Sparta) placed second in the 200 free relay, falling short of the winners by 0.61 ticks. Englehardt took second in the 100 free and 200 free while placing fourth in the 50 fly, just 0.04 seconds outside the top three.
- First-year Will Settle (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Bishop McDevitt) occupied second in both one-meter diving events, with junior Dennis Sullivan (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls) taking third in the second event.
- Senior Myron Prograis (Etters, Pa./Cedar Cliff) placed second in the 50 fly, just 0.15 seconds short of the winner, while nabbing third in the 50 back.
- Sophomore Brendan Hopping (Ipswich, Mass./Ipswich) was second in the 1,000 free, followed by classmate Trevor Johnson (Salem, Mass./Salem) in third. Johnson was also third in the 100 breast and fourth in the 50 breast, just 0.23 ticks outside of third place.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Saturday vs. Bates College, 4 p.m.
- The Purple Knights host Senior Day that day.