POTSDAM, N.Y. - Saint Michael's College men's and women's swimming & diving student-athletes won nine more events as the two-day North Country Invitational came to a close on Saturday at the State University of New York at Potsdam's Maxcy Hall Pool. The semester-ending championship saw the Purple Knight women take second, placing among the top two at the meet for the fifth straight season, while the men were third.
- Purple Knight student-athlete won 15 events across the two-day invitational.
- The Saint Michael's women placed second among five schools with 420.5 points, trailing only winner Clarkson University (600.5). The Purple Knights nabbed their eighth top-two finish in nine trips to the invitational since first competing in 2012-13.
- On the men's side, the Purple and Gold took third out of four at 399 points. In-state counterpart Norwich University won (572). Saint Michael's posted its sixth consecutive top-three performance at the meet.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Margaret Wilk (Hardyston, N.J./Pope John XXIII Regional), 3 wins
- Junior Marisa Butzirus (Coronado, Calif./Coronado), 2 wins
- Junior Bella Amedio (Schenectady, N.Y./Albany Academy for Girls), 1 win
- Sophomore Caroline Gust (North Andover, Mass./North Andover), 1 win
- Amedio, Butzirus, Gust and Wilk combined to take the opening event of day two, the 200-yard medley relay (1:54.70), by 3.52 seconds. Wilk also claimed the 100- (55.42) and 200-yard (2:02.75) freestyle races, with junior Emma Jane Tagliaferro (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) second in the latter.
- Butzirus tied a Clarkson swimmer for first place in the 100-yard backstroke (1:04.84).
- Sophomore Emily McLane (Morrisonville, N.Y./Peru) and Amedio went 2-3 in the 200-yard breaststroke.
- Tagliaferro, Wilk, sophomore Mary Kohn (Weston, Conn./Weston) and first-year Elaine Gillan (Rensselaer, N.Y./Rensselaer) combined for a runner-up showing in the 400 free relay.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Will Englehardt (Sparta, N.J./Sparta), 4 wins
- Senior Nate Imbergamo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand), 3 wins
- Senior Sean McGurn (Braintree, Mass./Braintree), 2 wins
- First-year Thomas Kane (Sparta, N.J./Pope John XXIII Regional), 2 wins
- The quartet of Englehardt, Imbergamo, Kane and McGurn finished 4-for-4 at the invitational by winning the 200 medley relay (1:41.65) and 400 free relay (3:16.69) on Saturday.
- Englehardt captured the 100 (48.42) and 200 (1:47.31) free races, with Kane following in second (48.69) during the former.
- Imbergamo displayed his versatility by winning the 100 back (54.51) and placing second in the 1,650 free, while McGurn took second in the 400-yard individual medley.
- First-year Will Settle (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Bishop McDevitt) was fourth in the three-meter diving (158.50), coming within 11.95 points of the top three. Juniors Dennis Sullivan (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls) and Liam Burke (Scotia, N.Y./Scotia-Glenville) narrowly trailed in fifth (151.35) and sixth (149.80), respectively. The event marked the first three-meter competition of Burke's and Settle's college careers.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Jan. 6 at Norwich, 1 p.m.