POTSDAM, N.Y. - Saint Michael's College men's and women's swimming & diving student-athletes combined to win six events on the opening day of the State University of New York at Potsdam's two-day North Country Invitational on Friday at Maxcy Hall Pool. The Purple Knights are capping their first-semester slate with the mid-season championship for the ninth consecutive season.
- The Saint Michael's women, who seek their fifth straight top-finish at the North Country Invitational, are second among five schools after the opening day. With 184 points, the Purple Knights edged out Colby-Sawyer College (149), Norwich University (149) and SUNY Potsdam (111).
- On the men's side, the Purple and Gold is third out of four with 187 points, just 39 short of Clarkson University.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Bella Amedio (Schenectady, N.Y./Albany Academy for Girls), 1 win
- First-year Margaret Wilk (Hardyston, N.J./Pope John XXIII Regional), 1 win
- Amedio won the 100-yard breaststroke (1:10.02), with sophomore Emily McLane (Morrisonville, N.Y./Peru) just 0.52 seconds behind in second (1:10.54). The duo bested a third-place Clarkson swimmer (1:10.64) who had defeated Amedio by 0.02 seconds in the event when they met just last Saturday. Since that race, Amedio dropped 1.47 seconds and McLane 5.07 ticks.
- Wilk won the 200-yard individual medley (2:17.45), while Amedio was fifth in the 50-yard freestyle, just 0.30 seconds out of third. The duo joined junior Marisa Butzirus (Coronado, Calif./Coronado) and sophomore Caroline Gust (North Andover, Mass./North Andover) to place second in the 400-yard medley relay.
- Amedio, Butzirus, Wilk and first-year Elaine Gillan (Rensselaer, N.Y./Rensselaer) were second in the 200 free relay.
- Junior Emma Jane Tagliaferro (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) was runner-up in the 200-yard backstroke, and sophomore Mary Kohn (Weston, Conn./Weston) took third in the 500 free.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Will Englehardt (Sparta, N.J./Sparta), 3 wins
- First-year Thomas Kane (Sparta, N.J./Pope John XXIII Regional), 3 wins, 1 school record
- Senior Nate Imbergamo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand), 2 wins
- Senior Sean McGurn (Braintree, Mass./Braintree), 2 wins
- The Purple Knights turned in two dominant relay victories, with Englehardt, Imbergamo, Kane and McGurn completing both foursomes. In the 400 medley relay, the team netted a time of 3:39.55 to win by 4.86 seconds; the second- through fourth-place quartets were separated by 1.58 seconds. During the 200 free relay, Saint Michael's posted a time of 1:28.96, good for a 2.39-second win. The next three teams had only 0.93 seconds between them.
- Kane posted a sizable solo win of his own, taking the 50 free in 21.60 to best the runner-up by 0.80 ticks; the next five finishers were separated by 0.70 seconds. Kane was also third in the 100 breast, and Englehardt won the 100-yard butterfly (54.40). During the 100 breast, Kane clocked in at 27.53 during his opening 50 to break Pierce Farrington's '18 seven-year-old school record (27.59), set on Jan. 24, 2015.
- McGurn placed third in the 200 IM, coming within 0.21 seconds of second place and 0.76 of the winner. Imbergamo nabbed third in the 500 free, while first-year Will Settle (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Bishop McDevitt) took third in the one-meter diving.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Saturday at North Country Invitational, 10 a.m.