WORCESTER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College softball team concluded its season with a 6-1 loss to Assumption College on Sunday morning at Marois Field during Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (4-32, 3-22 NE10), Assumption (22-20, 15-14 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 2-for-3, R
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 1-for-3
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 1-for-3
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 6 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Sophomore Brooke Murphy, 1-for-2, 2 R, BB, 3 SB
- Sophomore Alyssa Beaton, 1-for-2, R, 2 RBIs, 2B, SF
- Junior Kayla Peabody, 1-for-2, 2 RBIs, SF
- Sophomore Mia Nowicki, 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
- The contest was a rubber match of the three-game season series, which began with the teams splitting a Friday doubleheader.
- Rathwell made 27 pitching appearances this season, tying for fifth in program history. Her 21 complete games were good for third, as were her 155.1 innings.
- Tierney capped her career 10th in program history in career hits (110).
- Senior Hayley Craddock (Campbell River, British Columbia/Carihi Secondary School/Highline) completed her two-school college career with 149 hits.
- Apkarian walked 13 times this season, moving her into the top 10 in program history with the most by a Purple Knight in a decade.
- Rathwell reached on a two-out error in the first inning before moving up on Markowski's infield single, but Nowicki fanned the final batter.
- Assumption used a pair of walks and sacrifice flies from Beaton and Peabody to make it 2-0 in the home half.
- Apkarian singled with one down in the second before first-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) walked, but a double play ended the threat.
- The Greyhounds pushed the lead to 5-0 in the third thanks to Beaton's RBI double and a pair of run-scoring groundouts.
- Saint Michael's got on the board in the fourth, as Markowski and Tierney led off with singles before Markowski came home on an infield miscue.
- Rathwell pitched around two runners in scoring position in the fourth by inducing a popup and a grounder back to the circle.
- Another RBI groundout padded Assumption's lead in the sixth inning.