COLCHESTER, Vt. - Junior Alessandro Pescina (Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela/Colegio Loyola Gumilla) tallied his first college goal in the 81st minute to lift the shorthanded Saint Michael's College men's soccer team to a 1-1 tie with regional power Southern New Hampshire University on Wednesday at Duffy Field. The Purple Knights, who were a man down from the 78th minute onward, knotted a Penmen team ranked fifth in the latest United Soccer Coaches East Region Poll, and which was eighth in Division II in goals-against average and save percentage.
- Saint Michael's (0-7-3, 0-3-3 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (4-2-2, 1-1-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Pescina, 1 goal (1st career)
- Senior Liam Barrett (Saugus, Mass./Malden Catholic/UMass Lowell), 4 saves
- Sophomore Brock Martindale (Pittsburgh, Pa./Montour), 1 assist
- Senior Paul Makaj, 1 goal
- Sophomore Preston Neal, 1 save
- Pescina scored his first career goal during his first collegiate start.
- Southern New Hampshire entered the game ranked eighth in Division II in both GAA (0.43) and save percentage (.875), having allowed only three goals in seven games.
- The visitors held leads in shots (25-5) and corner kicks (9-4), but put only five shots on net.
- The Purple Knights had an early good look, as Pescina chipped a pass in the box to first-year Joel Marquardt (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), whose header forced Neal into a leaping fingertip save in the 11th minute.
- In the 27th minute, junior Nicolas Gonzalez split the Saint Michael's defense and chipped a shot just wide of the right post with Barrett charging from his net.
- The hosts ran off three straight corner kicks beginning in the 37th minute but were unable to fire off a shot, with Neal intercepting the third to conclude the sequence.
- The teams headed into halftime scoreless after first-year Iago Perez sent a point-blank header wide left of the post in the 39th minute.
- In a scoreless contest, first-year Philipp Hermann got a step on the Saint Michael's defense in the 75th minute and tried slipping a quick shot into the left side of the net, but Barrett challenged him and made a brilliant refusal with his right leg.
- The Purple Knights went a man down in the 78th minute following a player's second yellow card, and the ensuing long free kick was unsuccessfully cleared from the box. After two quick touches, Makaj curled a ball around Barrett's outstretched arms for the opening goal at 77:57.
- Saint Michael's was awarded a free kick late in the 81st minute, and Martindale's low entry hit a Penman, slowing the ball long enough for Pescina to one-touch a shot up close and home with 80:49 gone.
- During a half in which Southern New Hampshire put only 14 of 17 shots on goal, the visitors took the final four shots, but none reached the net.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Felician (N.J.) University, 2:30 p.m.