COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team lost a 2-1 Northeast-10 Conference decision to Bentley University on Saturday at Duffy Field. The Purple Knights celebrated Senior Day, honoring Isaiah McCaskill (Springfield, Mass./Springfield Renaissance School/Becker) and Javi Milvaques (Pego, Alicante, Spain/Rice Memorial) during a pregame ceremony.
- Saint Michael's (0-6-1, 0-2-1 NE10), Bentley (2-3-2, 1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Liam Barrett (Saugus, Mass./Malden Catholic/UMass Lowell), 3 saves
- Sophomore Jake Manley (Burlington, Vt./Burlington), 1 goal (first career)
- Sophomore Tyler Santaniello (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 1 assist
- Graduate student Eduardo Bomfim, 6 saves
- Senior Chad Meyers, 1 goal
- Junior Lukas Drahos, 1 goal
- The Purple Knights held a 14-11 edge in shots, while both teams took five corner kicks.
- Six of the past eight meetings have now been decided by one goal.
- Bomfim denied McCaskill on a tough-angle shot in the 19th minute to keep the game scoreless.
- Santaniello settled a giveaway in the 30th minute before sliding a through ball to Manley, who snuck a shot inside the far left corner of the net to give Saint Michael's a 1-0 edge.
- In the 40th minute, junior back Gray Pierson (Framingham, Mass./Framingham) headed graduate student Ronan Fitzpatrick's header off the line during a corner kick set to deny a goal.
- First-year Jack Andrews (Beverly, Mass./Bishop Fenwick) nearly doubled the lead in the 55th minute, forcing Bomfim into a diving save, while the netminder registered another diving stop in the 69th minute, this time on a Manley bid.
- In between, Meyers found the equalizer at 58:03, striking senior Evan Levine's cross-box feed.
- First-year back Drew Kull (Rochester, N.Y./Pittsford Sutherland) disrupted a Bentley counterattack with a slide tackle in the box during the 81st minute.
- Shortly thereafter, Drahos pounced on a rebound at the right post after a teammate's initial shot was blocked by a Purple Knight field player.
- Barrett kept his team within range thanks to diving left and stopping Meyers' shot in the 87th minute.
- A long free kick from Kull ticketed for the upper 90 with 25 seconds left was secured by Bomfim.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. American International College, 7 p.m.