RINDGE, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team lost to No. 3 Franklin Pierce University, 5-0, on Wednesday during Northeast-10 Conference action at Sodexo Field. The Ravens, who won the 2021 NE10 Championship to qualify for the NCAA Tournament, are nationally ranked by the United Soccer Coaches, and sit first in the East Region rankings.
- Saint Michael's (0-5-1, 0-1-1 NE10), Franklin Pierce (7-0, 2-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Liam Barrett (Saugus, Mass./Malden Catholic/UMass Lowell), 8 saves
- Sophomore Braudilio Rodrigues, 3 goals
- Graduate student Javier Guiterrez, 1 goal
- Graduate student Marc Lopez, 1 goal
- Senior Javier Torres, 0 saves in 45 minutes
- Junior Karl Vernet, 1 save in 45 minutes of relief
- Barrett splayed out to stop a crashing Rodrigues' point-blank bid near the left post in the ninth minute to keep the game scoreless.
- Rodrigues took a long ball before cutting to his right and slipping a shot inside the left post at 10:34 for the winner. Rodrigues added to the lead 12:05 later, tapping home a cross.
- Barrett stopped graduate student Jesus Gonzalez Diaz's diving header at the right post in the 44th minute to keep it 2-0 heading into halftime.
- Quick ball movement around the net led to Lopez tallying in the 57th minute before Rodrigues finished his hat trick in the 58th minute.
- Junior Sean Connelly's (Arlington, Mass./Arlington) bid to get the Purple Knights on the board, a low blast from 25 yards, was scooped by Vernet in the 88th minute.
- Guiterrez put home the final goal with 20 seconds left after taking an end line cross.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Bentley University, 12 p.m.
- The Purple Knights host Senior Day that day.