Posted: Aug 30, 2022
COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team lost to Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College, 3-0, on Tuesday afternoon at Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (0-3), Roberts Wesleyan (1-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Liam Barrett (Saugus, Mass./Malden Catholic/UMass Lowell), 6 saves (career high)
- Junior Tamas Nagy, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Alex Perez Vega, 1 goal
- Senior Dylan Ruiz, 1 goal
- Senior Jared Gibbons, 6 saves
- Saint Michael's played for the third time in six days, contesting three opponents in August for the first time.
- The Purple Knights held a 14-13 edge in shots, while the Redhawks took the game's only corner kick.
- Perez Vega put his team ahead 5:16 into the contest, blasting home a shot from the right side of the box off of Nagy's wide ball.
- Senior Isaiah McCaskill (Springfield, Mass./Springfield Renaissance School/Becker) nearly found the equalizer in the 24th minute but one-touched a shot from the middle of the box high following junior Brian Poolman's (Needham, Mass./Needham) centering cross.
- Barrett kept it a one-goal affair at the 26-minute mark, diving to the left post to deny senior Marc-Anthony Blackburn's shot from just beyond the box.
- Nagy extended the lead to 2-0 at 54:05, tapping a long pass beyond a rushing Barrett after senior Hunter Salisbury's long aerial pass bounced off of a Purple Knight defender.
- First-year Joel Marquardt (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex) was pulled down while firing from the left flank in the 62nd minute, leading to the hosts being awarded a penalty kick. However, Gibbons dove right to turn aside the ensuing shot, and a Saint Michael's foul in front of the goal ended the threat.
- Ruiz went bar down in the 65th minute off of senior Ollie Ardle's short free kick touch to bolster the lead.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Monday at Saint Anselm College, 3 p.m.
- The teams will play their annual non-conference Community Shield game, benefiting a local charity in the vicinity of the host institution. This year's local charity in Manchester, N.H., is TBA.