SPARKILL, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team lost to Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College, 3-1, on Sunday at Spartan Field to complete a two-game weekend road swing.
- Saint Michael's (1-1), Saint Thomas Aquinas (2-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Brock Martindale (Pittsburgh, Pa./Montour), 1 goal (1st career)
- Senior Kyle Brady (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy), 1 assist
- Senior Mathias Loft (Frederiksberg, Denmark/Cohasset), 1 save in 64:39
- Sophomore Ian Boudreau (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury), 0 saves in 25:21 of relief
- Junior Jorge Umana, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Anthony Bolivar Sanchez, 1 goal
- First-year Benjamin Lidh, 1 goal
- Senior Asier Vegas, 4 saves in 76:11
- Junior Bailey Caller, 0 saves in 13:49 of relief
- The Purple Knights held a 7-5 edge in corner kicks while being outshot 15-9.
- The teams are now 3-3-1 in their all-time series.
- Saint Michael's, which downed Chestnut Hill (Pa.) College, 2-1, on Saturday, was seeking its first 2-0 start in true road games since 1963.
- Umana broke a scoreless deadlock in the 34th minute by burying a free kick.
- Senior back Cam Goodrich (Milton, Vt./Milton) drove a low free kick from outside the box in the 38th minute that sent Vegas diving to tip away the bid, leading to consecutive corner kicks, neither of which yielded a shot.
- Lidh doubled the lead at 41:43, heading home Umana's corner kick cross over bodies in the goal area.
- Umana almost made it 3-0 in the 46th minute, but Goodrich cleared his shot off of a vacated goal line.
- Sanchez added to the Spartan lead by scoring from the right side of the box at 56:36.
- The Purple Knights spoiled the clean sheet in the 77th minute, as Brady's free kick from the top of the box was put home by Martindale's header. That proved to be the final shot on goal for either team.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Saint Anselm College, 1 p.m.
- The teams will play their annual Community Cup contest, a non-league affair between the Northeast-10 Conference foes that benefits a local charity. This year's charity is to be announced.