LAFAYETTE HILL, Pa. - Saint Michael's College men's soccer senior Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas) notched a goal and an assist to help the Purple Knights claim the program's 300th victory, taking down Chestnut Hill (Pa.) College, 2-1, on Saturday at Plymouth-Whitemarsh High School's Victory Field.
The Purple and Gold played for the first time since Nov. 2, 2019, while becoming the College's eighth program with 300 all-time wins. Men's soccer started as a varsity sport at Saint Michael's in fall 1960.
- Saint Michael's (1-0), Chestnut Hill (0-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Luke Magnier (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union/Vermont), 1 goal
- Junior Sebastian Kerr (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional), 1 assist
- Senior Mathias Loft (Frederiksberg, Denmark/Cohasset), 1 save
- First-year Andrey McIntyre, 1 goal
- First-year Mahmoud Mahmoud, 5 saves
- The Purple Knights played for the first time since Nov. 2, 2019.
- The Purple and Gold registered its 300th victory since kicking off in 1960, becoming the eighth Saint Michael's program to reach that plateau.
- Saint Michael's played for the first time in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and opposed a Pennsylvania school for only the second time, having hosted East Stroudsburg University on Sept. 5, 1999. Head coach Wade Jean previously coached on the other side of the state at Duquesne University.
- The Purple Knights have now won four of their past five openers.
- Magnier, who appeared in seven games across four seasons at the University of Vermont without tallying a point, netted his first collegiate goal. He was a member of two America East Conference regular-season title teams with the Division I Catamounts.
- Diaz notched his first career three-point game and initial game-winning goal.
- Saint Michael's held edges in shots (14-9) and corner kicks (7-3).
- Ten Purple Knights made their college debuts, while an even dozen made their initial appearance in Purple and Gold.
- The Purple Knights broke the scoreless stalemate in the 17th minute. Diaz sent a long through ball from just inside midfield, with Magnier collecting in stride in the box and finishing into the lower left at 16:10 after drawing Mahmoud from the goal.
- Early in the second half, senior Max Rossignol (Hopkinton, N.H./Hopkinton) sent a long pass from deep in the Saint Michael's end toward the left side of the Chestnut Hill box, where it took a bounce over a Griffin defender. Diaz caught up with the ball and saw it knocked away by a defender to Kerr, who passed back to an open Diaz. Diaz finished with his right foot from the left side over Mahmoud's head at 49:44.
- McIntyre completed a solo effort at 84:36 to halve the deficit, fighting through three defenders at the right side of the box before dribbling central and slotting a shot into the lower left corner with his left foot.
- Loft denied first-year Lucho Narcisi's tying bid in the 88th minute, and the hosts were awarded a corner kick in the dying seconds but were only able to release their cross as the final horn sounded.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday at Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College, 10 a.m.