SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team concluded its 2022 season with a 20-11 victory against American International College during Northeast-10 Conference play on Tuesday at Abdow Field. The Purple Knights received votes toward this week's New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (NEILA) poll.
- Saint Michael's (3-12, 2-8 NE10), AIC (1-14, 0-10 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Kyle Hirshom (Walpole, Mass./Walpole), 5 goals, 2 assists
- First-year Sebastian Simonson (Spruce Grove, Alberta/Spruce Grove Composite), 4 goals, 2 assists
- Junior Max Katavolos (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport), 2 goals, 2 assists, 3 ground balls
- First-year Ethan Hughes (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 2 goals
- First-year Cristian Reyes (Norwood, Mass./Xaverian Brothers), 2 goals
- Sophomore Nathan Woods (Ottawa, Ontario/Kent School), 1 goal, 1 assist, 5 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Dylan Morgan (Ashland, Mass./Ashland), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Drew Collins (Niskayuna, N.Y./Niskayuna), 2 assists, 3 ground balls
- First-year Zach Watson (Quispamsis, New Brunswick/Pomfret School), 2 assists
- Senior Joseph Gerardi (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury), 1 goal
- Junior Alex Chirgwin (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury), 1 goal
- Sophomore Robbie Sinibaldi (New Port Richey, Fla./J.W. Mitchell), 1 goal
- Sophomore Spencer Scardino (Niskayuna, N.Y./Niskayuna), 11 saves in 45 minutes, win
- First-year Sean Regan (Pittsford, N.Y./Pittsford Sunderland), 3 saves in 15 minutes of relief
- Junior Brian Sardella (Billerica, Mass./Billerica Memorial), 3 ground balls, 3 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Rocky Grillone (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman), 3 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Michael Cammarata Jr. (North Andover, Mass./Saint John's Prep), 3 caused turnovers
- Senior Connor Brennan (Newington, Conn./Newington), 5 ground balls, 9-for-16 faceoffs
- First-year Cooper Wilson (Niskayuna, N.Y./Niskayuna), 3 ground balls, 4 faceoff wins
- First-year Nate Carr (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 2-for-3 faceoffs
- Redshirt junior Rusty Stone, 3 goals
- Sophomore Tyler Shrewsbury, 10 ground balls, 19-for-33 faceoffs
- Sophomore Nick Mee, 23 saves
- Saint Michael's was 4-for-4 on man-up opportunities and held large advantages in shots (65-44) and ground balls (54-39). The Purple Knights' 46.0% man-up conversion percentage this season was the program's best since that statistic began being tracked in 2005.
- Hirshom recorded career highs in goals and points.
- Scardino posted 230 saves this season, good for second in program history. Only John Eckroth '99, with 269 in 1998, had more. Scardino played the seventh-most minutes in school annals (812:55), logging the most since Chris DeMairo '13 in 2013 (830:34).
- Katavolos netted 31 goals this spring, becoming the 15th Purple Knight to reach the 30-goal plateau.
- Wilson finished with 89 faceoff wins in 10 games, taking 10th in program history for a season.
- Cammarata totaled 21 caused turnovers this season, tying for 10th in school annals.
- With 43 career caused turnovers, Sardella passed Matt Cotter '19 (42) for ninth in program history.
- Saint Michael's is 28-0 all-time against AIC.
- Reyes scored the opening goal at 13:42 of the first period, but three AIC players scored during a 3-0 response.
- Saint Michael's scored eight of the next nine tallies, with Hirshom, Katavolos and Simonson potting two apiece. Hirshom's goal at 13:23 of the third quarter lent the visitors a 9-4 lead.
- AIC held a slim 6-4 scoring lead between that point and when redshirt junior Jason Vickery scored 37 seconds into the fourth period, bringing the Yellow Jackets within 13-10.
- Hirshom's three goals led a 7-1 scoring surge down the stretch, as the Purple Knights pulled away.