Men's lacrosse holds close with No. 7 NYIT until late stages of setback

Men's lacrosse holds close with No. 7 NYIT until late stages of setback

OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team continued a challenging season-opening schedule with a 13-5 loss to seventh-ranked New York Institute of Technology on Wednesday afternoon in President's Stadium. The Purple Knights, now 0-3, take on two nationally-ranked foes and another receiving votes during their opening four games, while the Bears are 5-1. NYIT's ranking is according to the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association.

Senior Mark Yetter (Skillman, N.J./Montgomery/Delaware) notched a goal and two assists for Saint Michael's, while classmates Daegan Goodman (Montpelier, Vt./Montpelier) and Jamie McGill (Needham, Mass./Needham), junior Andrew Colyer (Stowe, Vt./Stowe) and sophomore Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston) all tallied once apiece. Junior Taylor Wallace (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) came up with four ground balls and one caused turnover from the midfield, and first-year Conor DiNatale (Needham, Mass./Needham) was 4-of-7 on faceoffs. Senior T.J. Bicknell (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) made eight saves in 27:48 while taking the loss, and sophomore Matt Hanley (Plainview, N.Y./Bethpage) had seven stops in relief.

Senior Shawn Murphy totaled six goals and an assist for NYIT, and junior Will Kistinger had one tally and five assists while going 10-for-14 at the X. Classmate Alex Seltzer made 10 saves in 58:54.

Kistinger and Murphy played a hand in the first 10 Bear goals, including as the hosts led 3-1 heading into the second quarter after Kistinger tallied with 3:07 to go, 1:21 after Yetter had gotten Saint Michael's on the board. McGill's marker at 12:26 of the second period drew the hosts within one, but junior George Schultz assisted Murphy 1:21 later and netted a man-up goal at 5:50 to push the lead to 5-2. Goodman converted Yetter's feed with 33 seconds left and the Purple Knights a man up, leaving the visitors down just two goals right before halftime, but NYIT scored twice in an eight-second span over the final 20 seconds, with Kistinger assisting both.

After Murphy netted his second straight goal to make it 8-3 at 12:34 of the third, Saint Michael's twice edged within four goals, with Colyer taking Yetter's extra-man feed 53 seconds following Murphy's marker and Loughlin countering another Murphy goal with 2:20 left to create a 9-5 margin. However, Murphy notched his third goal of the period 31 seconds after that, kicking off a game-ending 4-0 run for NYIT, which tacked on three tallies in the final 8:14 of regulation to pull away.

The Purple Knights return home for their final contest on Duffy Field this month when they take on Pace University, which is receiving votes toward the latest USILA national poll, on Saturday at 1 p.m.