MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team returned from nearly a month-long layoff with a 5-1 loss to Middlebury College on Saturday during Middlebury's Friends of Panther Hockey Classic at Kenyon Arena. Sunday's consolation game has been canceled per the established institutional and conference COVID-19 health protocols.
- Saint Michael's (1-6), Middlebury (1-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Nathan Smith (Wildwood, Mo./New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs), 1 goal, 3-for-7 faceoffs
- Senior Matt Egan (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 assist
- Junior Sam Johnson (Freeport, Maine/Walpole Express), 1 assist
- Junior Matt Schreiner (Falmouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 5-for-8 faceoffs
- Senior Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 6 faceoff wins
- Senior Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School), 6 faceoff wins
- Senior Hugo Turcotte (Gap, France/Kimball Union Academy), 30 saves
- Sophomore Chris Garbe, 2 goals, 1 assist
- Senior Tyler Capello, 1 goal, 16-for-22 faceoffs
- First-year Jin Lee, 1 goal
- First-year Andrew Malatesta, 1 goal
- Sophomore Jake Horoho, 20 saves
- Smith, a recent addition to the team, scored his first college goal. He was later named to the all-tournament team.
- Saint Michael's played its third straight game in Vermont, all at different sites.
- The Purple Knights had not played since Dec. 7.
- While Middlebury had been 0-2, the Panthers suffered both of their losses by 3-2 counts.
- The Purple Knights held a 9-5 advantage in shots during the opening period, as the Panthers had a man in the penalty box for half of the 20 minutes, but the hosts netted the only goal.
- During a Saint Michael's power play late in the stanza, a Saint Michael's cross-ice pass was tipped out of the Middlebury zone and into neutral ice. First-year Matt Myers picked up the loose puck and outraced two visitor skaters toward net, where his centering feed to Malatesta was tipped home at 14:05 for a shorthanded marker.
- Lee doubled the lead at 9:27 of the second period, batting home a rebound below the left circle after Turcotte had denied sophomore Nolan Moore's blast from the blue line.
- Saint Michael's had a two-man power play for 1:14 late in the stanza, but Horoho denied both shots on net, including first-year defenseman Case Kantgias' (Bloomfield Hills, Mich./Northern Colorado Eagles) slap shot from the left circle at 18:01.
- With time winding down and Horoho pulled to give the Panthers a three-man advantage, junior Billy Dobensky sent a shot over the net and off the boards, but the rebound slipped out toward the right post, where Garbe poked the puck home at 19:56.
- Saint Michael's chipped within 3-1 6:30 into the third period during a power play, as Johnson's shot from the left circle was tipped by Egan off of Horoho and rebounded out to Smith, who knocked it in from the doorstep.
- Capello reestablished the three-goal lead just 3:14 later, tapping a puck out of the air after Turcotte saved Garbe's initial shot.
- Garbe scored again on a power play at 13:20, firing from the low right circle after Dobensky's saved shot rebounded out wide.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Saint Anselm College, 6:10 p.m.