Posted: Nov 23, 2021
AMHERST, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team fell at Amherst College, 5-1, on Tuesday afternoon at Orr Rink.
- Saint Michael's (1-2), Amherst (1-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 goal
- Junior Matt Schreiner (Falmouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 1 assist, 9-for-19 faceoffs
- Junior Jeremy Routh (Hamden, Conn./New Hampshire Junior Monarchs), 1 assist
- Sophomore Marshall Murphy (Little Canada, Minn./Northern Colorado Eagles), 21 saves
- Senior Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 9-for-15 faceoffs
- Senior Pieter von Steinbergs, 1 goal, 3 assists, +3, 4 blocks
- Senior Nick Bondra, 2 goals, 1 assist, +3
- Senior Sean Wrenn, 1 goal, 1 assist, +3, 9-for-17 faceoffs
- First-year Bobby Luca, 1 goal
- Sophomore Alex Wisco, 24 saves
- Amherst held a 26-25 edge in shots and a 41-34 lead in faceoff wins.
- Amherst broke the scoreless deadlock on a power play with 10:48 gone in the first period, as von Steinbergs' slap shot from between the circles was tipped home out front by Wrenn, who also screened Murphy.
- At 15:18, junior Michael Pitts slipped a pass from the right point that Bondra redirected from the low right circle, doubling the lead.
- Bondra scored again at 5:41 of the second frame, finishing an odd-man rush at the left post after Wrenn's pass. Von Steinbergs went top shelf from the right circle on a power play at 7:19 to make it 4-0.
- Saint Michael's drew within three goals on a power play at 13:02. Routh pushed the puck from behind the net into the slot, where Schreiner sent a pass through his legs toward the edge of the left circle, and Narby finished with the one-timer.
- Luca padded the lead by scoring on an empty net with 1:10 remaining in the third period.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Dec. 3 at Southern New Hampshire University, 7:40 p.m.