SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team lost to Assumption University, 4-2, on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play in Cairns Arena. The Greyhounds won the most recent NE10 regular-season title, in the winter of 2019-20.
- Saint Michael's (1-1, 1-1 NE10), Assumption (3-3-1, 1-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Jeremy Routh (Hamden, Conn./New Hampshire Junior Monarchs), 1 goal
- Senior Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 1 goal, 13-for-24 faceoffs
- Junior Matt Schreiner (Falmouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 13-for-25 faceoffs
- Senior Tyler Dorval (Liverpool, N.Y./Liverpool), 1 assist, +1
- First-year Brennan McFarland (Greeley, Colo./Northern Colorado Eagles), 1 assist, 2 blocks
- Senior Hugo Turcotte (Gap, France/Kimball Union Academy), 43 saves (career high)
- Senior Devan Sheth, 2 goals, 1 assist
- Senior Robert Holyoke, 1 goal
- Junior Colin Philippon, 1 goal
- Graduate student David Altman, 30 saves
- The prior eight meetings had been decided by just one goal, which was also the case on Saturday until Sheth scored an empty-netter with 33 seconds remaining.
- Assumption held a narrow 38-36 edge in faceoffs while claiming a 47-32 lead in shots.
- Flack's solo effort gave the hosts a 1-0 lead with 42 seconds left in the opening period. After receiving a pass in his own zone from Dorval at the boards, Flack carried all the way into the Assumption before snapping a shot between the circles past Altman. Sophomore TJ Beaver (Enfield, N.H./Proctor Academy) also assisted.
- The Greyhounds held a 22-11 lead in second-period shots but solved Turcotte only once in the frame, when Philippon went five-hole from the blue line with 4:21 gone.
- Holyoke put home a rebound out front during a power play at 2:47 of the third period, but Routh countered just 49 seconds later, slipping a rebound into the left side of the net after Altman saved McFarland's slapper from the right point. Senior Colin O'Connor (North Haven, Conn./Connecticut RoughRiders) added the secondary helper.
- With the teams tied at two and less than nine minutes to go, Sheth sent in a one-timer from the left circle off of junior Collin Montgomery's feed.
- Assumption was assessed a penalty at 18:34, and Saint Michael's pulled Turcotte to gain a 6-on-4 advantage while pushing to find the equalizer. However, the hosts were unable to fire a tying attempt, and Sheth took a giveaway at his own blue line before immediately shooting on the open net for a clinching goal with 33 seconds left.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday at Amherst College, 4 p.m.