HOOKSETT, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team scored three goals in the third period to beat Southern New Hampshire University, 3-0, on Friday night at the Ice Den in a Northeast-10 Conference game. The win puts the Purple Knights into first place in the NE10, one point ahead of Assumption College.
- Saint Michael's (13-8-2, 9-5-1 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (9-10, 7-5 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 1 goal, +2
- Junior Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 goal, 2 blocks
- Junior Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones), 1 goal
- Junior Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 1 assist, 12-for-23 faceoffs
- Junior Paul McAuliffe (Newton, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 assist, +2
- Junior Cameron Stewart (Sabattus, Maine/East Coast Wizards), 1 assist
- Sophomore Matt Egan (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 assist
- Senior William Santangeli (Oakville, Ontario/Saint Mark's School), 10-for-15 faceoffs
- First-year Matt Schreiner (Falmouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 9-for-14 faceoffs
- Senior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 31 saves
- Sophomore JT Kossakowski, 31 saves
- Decker moves into a tie with Dave Donzanti '15 for first in program history in career shutouts (4), and he passed Andy Joy '05 (1,279) for ninth in career saves (1,300).
- This was Decker's 10th win this year, making him the first Purple Knight to reach double-digit wins in a season since Tyler Bilton '09 did so in the 2008-09 season.
- The Purple Knights hold a 40-23-6 all-time advantage over Southern New Hampshire.
- Foster extended his point streak to six games, recording seven points in that span.
- With 2:10 gone in the first period, Santangeli found space in front of the net and shot to the top left corner, but Kossakowski made a glove save to deny the early Purple Knight opportunity.
- The Penmen had a scoring chance with 18 seconds left in the period when sophomore Travis Quigley had a breakaway and beat Decker, but his shot went just wide of the net, keeping the two teams tied.
- On a Saint Michael's power play with 5:37 gone in the second period, a shot by McAuliffe from the blue line was batted down by Kossakowski, who then covered up the rebound with a Purple Knight crashing the net.
- On a Southern New Hampshire power play, junior Tyler Dorval (Liverpool, N.Y./Liverpool) blocked a shot and Decker made a save 10:40 into the period to kill the penalty successfully.
- The Purple Knights broke through 9:44 into the third period when a shot by Egan from the blue line was blocked, but Flack knocked in the rebound, giving Saint Michael's the lead.
- The Purple Knights extended the lead with 18:23 gone after McAuliffe started a 2-on-1 and passed to Narby, who beat Kossakowski with a backhanded shot to the top part of the net.
- Olevitz scored the final Purple Knight goal 26 seconds later after Foster won a faceoff in the neutral zone and Olevitz's long shot went into the empty net.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Southern New Hampshire, 3:20 p.m.