SHELTON, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team lost to Post University, 5-1, on Saturday at the Sports Center of Connecticut to split a Northeast-10 Conference weekend series.
- Saint Michael's (10-8-2, 6-5-1 NE10), Post (3-13-1, 1-10 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Matt Egan (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 goals
- Junior Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 1 assist, 15-for-29 faceoffs
- Junior Cameron Stewart (Sabattus, Maine/East Coast Wizards), 1 assist
- First-year Alec Lindberg (Bedford, N.H./Hampton Roads Whalers), 34 saves
- Senior Tyler Hackett, 2 goals
- Junior Anthony Giacomin, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior William Francis, 2 assists
- Junior Brandon Brown, 50 saves
- The Purple Knights held the advantage on shots, 51-39, but the Eagles took the slight advantage in faceoffs wins, 35-33.
- Egan extended his point streak to five games, with eight of his 13 points this season coming in January.
- Post scored 2:34 into the first period when a pass redirected off a Purple Knight's leg right to sophomore Niko Grollman for a breakaway, and Grollman beat Lindberg five-hole.
- The Eagles struck again with 6:10 gone when senior Kyle Weiss skated from his zone and up the left sideboards, and shot the puck into the top right corner of the net.
- The Purple Knights scored 3:42 into the second period when Stewart passed the puck to Foster behind the net, and Foster then moved it along to Egan for a shot into the top part of the net.
- The Eagles scored a power-play goal with 8:42 gone after a shot by Hackett was saved by Lindberg, but Giacomin was there to hit in the rebound.
- Post extended its lead on a second power-play goal at 17:37 on a pass by Francis from behind the net to the slot for Hackett, whose shot went to the top part of the net.
- Hackett had a breakaway toward with 10:06 gone in the third period, but when he went to his backhand to shoot, Lindberg used his right leg to kick the shot away to end the scoring chance.
- The Eagles scored the final goal of the game on an empty net 18:21 into the period after Giacomin intercepted a pass and lobbed the puck up to Hackett for the goal.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. Saint Anselm College, 7 p.m.
- With action still ongoing on Saturday, the Purple Knights and Hawks are currently tied for first place in the NE10. Regardless, they will be no worse than tied for second entering their two-game weekend series.