SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team fell to Nichols College, 9-2, on Saturday at Cairns Arena in the final non-conference game of the regular season.
- Saint Michael's (8-6-1), Nichols (2-11)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior William Santangeli (Oakville, Ontario/Saint Mark's School), 1 goal
- First-year Connor Redden (Southbury, Conn./Team Maryland), 1 goal, 10-for-16 faceoffs
- Junior Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School), 1 assist
- Sophomore Hugo Turcotte (Gap, France/Kimball Union Academy), 11 saves in 40 minutes
- First-year Alec Lindberg (Bedford, N.H./Hampton Roads Whalers), 7 saves in 19:57 of relief
- Sophomore Curtis Carlson, 3 goals, 2 assists
- Junior Nate Foster, 4 assists
- Sophomore Petr Miko, 1 goal, 2 assists
- Sophomore Kyle McDonald, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Noah Poindexter, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Matt Efros, 26 saves
- This was the Purple Knights' last non-conference game of the regular season; they will now play 11 straight games against Northeast-10 Conference opponents.
- The Purple Knights held the advantages in shots, 28-27, and faceoff wins, 32-27.
- With Santangeli's goal today, 18 different Purple Knights have scored so far this season, with no one netting more than six. Santangeli scored his second career goal, and first since Dec. 3, 2016.
- The Bison got on the board early with a goal 46 seconds into the first period when the puck was stolen behind the net by Carlson, who passed it to Foster, who then passed to Miko for the goal.
- The Purple Knights tied the game up with 2:57 gone after Mitchell intercepted a pass in the offensive zone and passed the puck to Santangeli, whose shot from out front got past Efros.
- The Bison responded 17 seconds later with a goal by Carlson in front of the net after a pass by Foster behind the goal line.
- A penalty shot 40 seconds into the second period was taken by Foster, who tried to beat Turcotte to his right side, but the goalie held his position in the net and made the save.
- Nichols scored its third goal after Foster stole the puck in the offensive zone and passed to Carlson for the goal at 10:21, beginning a run of four goals in 9:21.
- McDonald incepted a pass in the offensive zone and found Poindexter, whose shot went past Turcotte for the fourth Bison goal at 13:06, and senior J.B. Baker extended the lead 1:34 later with a shot from the left circle that hit the crossbar and went straight down into the net.
- Senior Vincent Crivello stole the puck behind the net and wrapped a shot around the post into the net at 19:42.
- Junior Filip Virgili scored a breakaway goal with 5:20 gone in the third period before a shot by Miko was tipped into the back of the net by Carlson 1:22 later.
- Redden added another goal for the Purple Knights 11:35 into the period after he stole the puck in the offensive zone and backhanded a shot between the legs of Efros.
- The Bison scored their final goal on a power play with 17:42 gone when a shot by junior Oliver Arnberg hit the post and McDonald hit in the deflection.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. Franklin Pierce University, 7 p.m.