SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team beat the defending Northeast-10 Conference Championship titlist Southern New Hampshire University, 5-2, on Friday night at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (5-3-1, 3-2 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (6-4, 4-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Paul McAuliffe (Newton, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Matt Egan (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Thomas Flack (Toronto Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 2 assists, 14-for-29 faceoffs
- Sophomore Andy Ide (Barrington, R.I/Cushing Academy), 2 assists
- Junior Tyler Dorval (Liverpool, N.Y./Liverpool), 1 goal
- Junior Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School), 1 goal, 7-for-11 faceoffs
- Junior Cameron Stewart (Sabattus, Maine/East Coast Wizards), 1 goal
- Junior Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones), 3 blocks, +3
- Sophomore Andrew DeCristoforo (Medway, Mass/South Shore Kings), +3
- Senior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 27 saves
- First-year Matt Schreiner (Falmouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 10-for-17 faceoffs
- Sophomore Joe Fiorino, 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year George Thurston, 1 goal
- Senior Kurt Gutting, 29 saves
- Coming into the game, 20 of the Purple Knights' last 22 games dating back to last January have been decided by two goals or less.
- The Purple Knights hold a 29-23-6 all-time advantage over Southern New Hampshire.
- The Purple and Gold held the advantage in shots, 34-29, and faceoffs, 44-34.
- Thurston knocked in a power-play goal with 11:24 gone in the first off a rebound from first-year Joe Biddle's shot.
- Egan tied the game with 7:32 down in the second period when a dump-in pass bounced over Gutting's glove and into the net.
- The Purple Knights took the lead at 14:18 when Ide's a dump-in pass hit the corner of the boards and bounced to the front of the net for Mitchell to tap in.
- The Purple and Gold scored a third time with 3:52 gone in the third period when Flack stole the puck behind the net and passed to the slot for Egan, who tipped it to McAuliffe on the right post for the goal.
- Dorval skated up the ice and put a move on Gutting to put him out of position and score on an empty net with 9:39 gone.
- Fiorino scored a power-play goal at 13:33 with an assist by first-year James Nash to cut the Purple Knight lead to two, ending a 4-0 run by the hosts.
- Stewart scored an empty-net power-play goal 18:08 into the period to secure the win for the Purple and Gold.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tomorrow vs. Castleton University, 4 p.m.
- The Purple Knights will be honoring John Gurskis '98 before this game by retiring his No. 9, the first uniform number retired in program history.