LENNOXVILLE, Quebec - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team downed Bishop's University, 82-78 in overtime, on Wednesday afternoon at Mitchell Gym to begin a four-game Canadian exhibition tour.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Kasai Brown (Brooklyn, N.Y./Millbrook School), 17 points, 6-for-12 field goals, 6 rebounds, 4-for-4 free throws
- Junior Romar Reid (Mount Vernon, N.Y./Woodstock Academy/Manhattan), 16 points, 3 steals, 7-for-8 free throws
- Sophomore Nic Button (Skaneateles, N.Y./Cheshire Academy), 13 points in 11 minutes, 5-for-5 field goals, 3-for-3 three-pointers
- Sophomore CJ Crews (Tampa, Fla./Bayshore Christian School), 11 points, 2 steals
- Senior Dario Milojevic (Windsor, Ontario/Herman Academy/Mississippi Valley State), 8 points, 5 rebounds
- First-year Matt Houde (Windsor Locks, Conn./Saint Thomas More School), 6 points, 3 assists
- Sophomore Chuma Oyigbo (Stoughton, Mass./Redemption Christian [N.Y.] Academy), 5 points, 6 rebounds
- Sophomore Jacob Duniver (Fredericksburg, Va./Woodstock Academy), 11 rebounds, 4 steals
- Senior Hisham Saleh, 18 points
- Sophomore Charles Robert, 14 points, 9 rebounds
- First-year Etienne Gagnon, 10 points, 7 rebounds
- Sophomore Obinna Dike-Nwagbara, 9 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists
- The Purple Knights kicked off their 1,000-mile road trip by facing a Bishop's team that advanced as far as last year's Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) Championship semifinals. The Gaiters won the RSEQ title only two years ago, earning a bid to the U SPORTS Final 8 national tournament in the process.
- The Purple and Gold now treks westward to Toronto, where it is slated to spend Thursday sightseeing.
- The remainder of the Canada slate: Friday at Sheridan (Ontario) College, 6 p.m.; Saturday at Toronto Metropolitan University, 1 p.m.; and Monday at Concordia (Quebec) University, 7 p.m.
- The game was played by International Basketball Federation (FIBA) rules, which includes four 10-minute quarters (as opposed to two 20-minute halves in the NCAA) and a 24-second shot clock (versus the NCAA's 30-second shot clock).
- The Purple Knights limited a Bishop's squad that scored 91 points against Division I Hampton University on Sunday.
- Saint Michael's committed 20 turnovers while forcing Bishop's into only one more (21), but held a 33-16 lead in points off of giveaways.
- Milojevic is the first Canadian to suit up for the Purple Knights since Montreal native Warren Daniel '00, a four-year member of the team and a captain his senior year.
- Houde, Reid and first-year Darrel Yepdo (Dracut, Mass./Brooks School) all made their Saint Michael's debuts.
- After yielding the first five points, the Purple and Gold went ahead 13-8 on Brown's three-pointer at 2:59 of the first quarter.
- The Gaiters used an 18-2 run to nab a 33-20 advantage with 4:50 left in the second period, and the hosts still led 47-34 at 7:44 of the third stanza.
- Five players scored in a tying 13-0 response, during which Button, Duniver and Oyigbo all hit threes.
- Saint Michael's used a 10-0 run to forge ahead 71-63 with 4:45 left in regulation, as Button knocked down a pair of shots - one being a three-pointer - off of Houde assists before Houde drained a three to cap the stretch.
- Saleh knocked down a tying three with nine seconds left in the fourth period, sending the teams to overtime tied at 72.
- Reid knocked down a jumper at 3:49 of overtime to give Saint Michael's the final lead, while the Gaiters went 4-of-8 from the charity stripe in the extra session. Brown's jumper at 42 seconds made it 80-76, and Reid iced the win with two freebies at 22 ticks.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday at Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario, 6 p.m.