COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team returned home for the first time in more than a month during an 86-75 loss to The College of Saint Rose during Northeast-10 Conference play on Thursday evening in the Ross Sports Center.
- Saint Michael's (4-9, 0-6 NE10), Saint Rose (6-5, 3-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Patrick Gardner (Merrick, N.Y./Calhoun/Nassau CC), 13 points, 11 rebounds, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 5-for-10 field goals, 2-for-3 three-pointers
- First-year Chuma Oyigbo (Stoughton, Mass./Redemption Christian [N.Y.] Academy), 11 points, 3-for-4 three-pointers
- Senior Jontai Williams (Bronx, N.Y./Cardinal Hayes), 9 points, 4 assists, 2 steals
- First-year Stefano Spassof (Athens, Greece/ACS Athens), 9 points, 4-for-5 field goals
- First-year CJ Crews (Tampa, Fla./Bayshore Christian School), 7 points
- Senior Jason Heter (Andover, N.J./Newton), 6 points, 3-for-3 field goals
- First-year Jacob Duniver (Fredericksburg, Va./Woodstock Academy), 5 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals
- Junior Jalen Gorham (York, Pa./MacDuffie School), 5 points, 3 steals, 2-for-3 field goals
- First-year Nic Button (Skaneateles, N.Y./Cheshire Academy), 5 points
- First-year Shane O'Dell, 36 points, 14 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks
- First-year Jermaine Taggart, 15 points, 5-for-5 field goals
- First-year Tray Alexander, 13 points, 3 assists, 3 steals, 3-for-6 three-pointers
- The Purple Knights played their first home game since Dec. 12, marking their longest in-season stretch between home contests since 2014-15 (Dec. 6 to Jan. 17).
- Saint Michael's played its first NE10 home game since Nov. 20, and just its second league home outing of the season.
- Saint Michael's held an 11-10 edge on the offensive glass while utilizing a 39-17 lead in bench points. The hosts committed 15 turnovers while forcing 14 by the Golden Knights.
- Gardner recorded his eighth double-double of the season.
- The teams played through 12 lead changes in the opening 16:36, including seven in the first 4:40, as Gardner's three-pointer gave Saint Michael's a 10-8 edge at 15:20 of the first half before Crews' floater 20 seconds later pushed the lead to four.
- The hosts maintained an advantage of no more than four points until 8:19, when O'Dell hit a jumper to put his team in front, and Taggart's ensuing lay-in created a 26-23 lead at 7:30.
- Five points from Gardner keyed a go-ahead 8-3 run, including his triple at 4:35 (31-29).
- However, Alexander responded with a three at 3:24, kicking off a personal 5-0 run, and Saint Rose took a 43-39 lead into the locker room.
- Saint Michael's trimmed its deficit to one point twice early in the second stanza, including on Williams' lay-up at 19:03 (45-44).
- Alexander and O'Dell both scored six points in an ensuing 16-3 run, providing Saint Rose a 61-47 cushion by 15:08.
- The hosts scored the next eight points, with Button burying a three from the corner before Oyigbo had the next five points, bringing the Purple Knights within 61-55 by 13:48.
- Taggart knocked down a trey just 19 seconds later, and Saint Rose never again led by fewer than nine points.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at Le Moyne College, 5:30 p.m.