KEENE, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's golf team trimmed 23 strokes off of its opening-day total while four players shot 80 or better on Monday during the final day of the Franklin Pierce University Fall Invitational at Keene Country Club. The Purple Knights finished 13th among 14 teams for the tournament but were just two strokes outside the top 10 on day two.
- Seven of the 14 schools in the field qualified for the 2021 NCAA Atlantic/East Regional Championship.
- The Purple Knights shot 330-307--637, with their 23-stroke improvement between days the best in the field.
- On day two alone, Saint Michael's took 11th at 307 shots, narrowly trailing Saint Anselm College (305), Goldey-Beacom (Del.) College (303), and 2021 regionals qualifiers Dominican (N.Y.) College (301), Franklin Pierce University (301) and Assumption University (298).
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Declan Buckley (Walpole, Mass./Xaverian Brothers)
- 13-over 83-74--157, T-47th
- T-20th during second round with 2-over 74
- Matched career-low round
- 6th career round in 70s
- T-5th in scoring average on par-5 holes (2-under, 4.8) for tournament
- Junior Brendan Locke (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead)
- 78-80--158, T-49th
- T-17th in pars (22)
- Senior Owen O'Malley (Marshfield, Mass./Marshfield)
- 82-76--158, T-49th
- 13th career round in 70s
- Junior Kevin Mannion (Boston, Mass./Boston Collegiate Charter School)
- 87-77--164, 64th
- Career-low round on Monday
- Tied career-low tournament score
- 2nd career round in 70s
- Senior Will Coontz (Pasadena, Calif./Saint Francis)
- 87-95--182, T-74th
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Next Monday at day one of Penmen Fall Invitational at Derryfield Country Club in Manchester, N.H.