WORCESTER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team lost a 1-0 decision to ninth-ranked Assumption University on Saturday in Kelly Stadium. The Northeast-10 Conference power Greyhounds, whose national ranking is according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA), advanced to the 2021 NCAA Final Four.
- Saint Michael's (1-6, 1-2 NE10), Assumption (5-2, 2-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Riley O'Connor (Canton, Mass./Canton), 8 saves
- Junior Mia Gardner (Smithfield, R.I./Saint George's School), 1 defensive save
- Junior Erickson Richard (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand), 1 defensive save
- Sophomore Addy Fenton (Andover, Mass./Phillips Academy), 1 defensive save
- Sophomore Mia Salah, 1 goal
- Graduate student Kyle Gargiulo, 2 saves
- Six of the past seven meetings between the teams in Worcester have now been decided by a single goal.
- The Purple Knights allowed only one shot on goal in the opening quarter, with O'Connor denying graduate student Lucy Malia in the eighth minute, before O'Connor stopping all three shots sent her way in the second period, when Fenton (16th minute), Richard (20th minute) and Gardner (28th minute) aided the cause with defensive saves. The netminder turned away a pair of shots in the 28th minute around Gardner's defensive stop.
- Salah gave Assumption the game's lone goal at 40:57, backhanding a bad-angle shot along the goal line and just inside the far right post.
- Saint Michael's had its best scoring opportunity in the 43rd minute, as juniors Danielle Cummings (Swanton, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union) and Madeleine Biondi (Cranston, R.I./Cushing Academy) were both stopped by a sprawling Gargiulo amid a corner sequence.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. No. 6 Saint Anselm College, 3:30 p.m.
- The Hawks' national ranking is according to the NFHCA.