COLCHESTER, Vt. - Junior Erickson Richard (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) capped her first career hat trick during a four-goal fourth quarter that helped the Saint Michael's College field hockey team open its home slate with a 5-0 victory against Franklin Pierce University on Tuesday at Duffy Field in Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (2-3, 1-1 NE10), Franklin Pierce (0-4, 0-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Erickson Richard (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand), 3 goals
- Senior Bonnie Gillis (Milford, N.H./Bishop Guertin), 1 goal
- Sophomore Bridgie Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston), 1 goal (1st career)
- Senior Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence), 2 assists
- First-year Riley O'Connor (Canton, Mass./Canton), 10 saves
- Junior MacKenzie Potvin, 12 saves
- Franklin Pierce held edges of 26-21 in shots and 8-7 in penalty corners, as the Purple Knights outshot the visitors, 13-8, in the fourth quarter and had a 6-2 corners lead in the second half.
- O'Connor registered her first career shutout, and the first by a Saint Michael's first-year since Nicki Collette '99 on Oct. 5, 1995.
- After four straight road games, the Purple Knights opened their home schedule. Seven of their first nine games this season are away from home.
- Six of the last seven meetings had been decided by one goal.
- Puleo now has four goals and five assists this season, while Richard also has potted four goals, including both of her team's game-winners.
- After O'Connor made a toe stop of senior Feline van Doorn's long blast 55 seconds in, the Purple Knights got on the board at 1:13, as Puleo's pass from outside the circle found Richard, who turned in front of Potvin and found the left side of the net.
- The netminders exchanged kick saves in the second period, with Potvin denying sophomore Petra Bajuk's (Colchester, Vt./Colchester) point-blank backhanded bid denied in the 21st minute before O'Connor maintained the lead by turning away junior Alicia Hottleman from out front in the 22nd minute.
- Van Doorn blasted a shot from the left side of the circle on net in the 37th minute that O'Connor rejected with her pads and midsection. The netminder kept the lead at 1-0 in the 47th minute when she swatted down van Doorn's shot, which was deflected by a Purple Knight field player on net, and stopped junior Christine Jarowicz's follow-up bid.
- The Purple Knights quickly countered with a flurry of three goals in a matter of 2:30. Puleo's long pass from outside the circle was tipped home by Gillis in front of Potvin at 47:34, and Loughlin put home a rebound with 49:09 gone for her first college tally. Richard netted her second goal off of a rebound of Puleo's saved shot at 50:05, pushing the lead to 4-0.
- Richard finished off her hat trick by tipping first-year Addy Fenton's (Andover, Mass./Phillips Academy) pass around Potvin at 56:10.
- O'Connor secured her shutout with 1:28 left, kicking away first-year Rebecca Phillips' shot during a penalty corner set.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. No. 4 Assumption University, 3 p.m.
- The Greyhounds' ranking was according to this week's National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) national poll.
- Assumption qualified for the 2019 NCAA Tournament.