WEST HAVEN, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team lost its Northeast-10 Conference opener to the University of New Haven, 3-0, on Saturday at DellaCamera Stadium.
- Saint Michael's (1-3, 0-1 NE10), New Haven (1-2, 1-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Riley O'Connor (Canton, Mass./Canton), 7 saves
- Senior Alexis Rider, 2 goals
- Senior Taylor Geaglone, 2 assists
- Senior Reilly Bialko, 1 goal
- Graduate student Keira Integlia, 2 saves
- The Purple Knights opened their Northeast-10 Conference schedule.
- Purple Knight first-year goalkeepers combined to start two games in the nearly 25 complete seasons between Oct. 7, 1995, and the 2019 campaign. O'Connor has already started three times this season.
- The Chargers applied pressure early, earning five penalty corners over the opening 9:18 without sending a shot on net, including when a penalty stroke was awarded at 7:56 but pushed wide.
- Bialko broke the stalemate during a corner sequence at 13:05.
- O'Connor stopped Rider's bid midway through the 26th minute, but Rider made it 2-0 during a corner set at 26:33.
- New Haven collected five straight corners in a 1:08 stretch of the fourth quarter, but only one shot made it to goal in that time, which O'Connor turned away at 51:53.
- Rider added to the lead at 57:19 during a corner opportunity.
- Senior Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence) looked to end the shutout during the final minute, driving through the left side of the circle but having a bad-angle shot batted away by Integlia's pad.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Franklin Pierce University, 3:30 p.m.