MANSFIELD, Pa. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team concluded play at Mansfield (Pa.) University's Dr. Art DeGenaro Classic on Sunday with a 10-2 loss to fifth-ranked Kutztown (Pa.) University at Karl Van Norman Field. The Golden Bears, whose national ranking is according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA), advanced to the 2019 NCAA Tournament Final Four
- Saint Michael's (0-2), Kutztown (2-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence), 2 goals
- Junior Erickson Richard (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand), 1 assist
- Sophomore Samantha Shapiro (Wilton, N.Y./Saratoga Springs), 5 saves
- Graduate student Alyssa Donato, 3 goals
- Junior Breann Craley, 2 goals
- Sophomore Andie Sierer, 2 goals
- Senior Rachel Dusman, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Katie Dotterweich, 7 saves
- Saint Michael's played in a season-opening tournament for the 12th straight season.
- Kutztown was fifth in the latest National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) national poll and qualified for the 2019 NCAA Tournament Final Four.
- Today's contest was the second in a three-game run against squads ranked in the final 2019 NFHCA national poll. Southern New Hampshire, which is currently ranked ninth and joined Kutztown in the 2019 NCAA Tournament field, awaits on Wednesday.
- Puleo notched her fifth multi-goal game in 20 career outings as a Purple Knight.
- Shapiro made her first collegiate start.
- Puleo put the first shot on goal for either team, being turned away by Dotterweich in the eighth minute, but Craley quickly countered at the other end with the game's initial tally at 7:34.
- Puleo knotted the contest with 11:00 gone, carrying from inside the left sideline and sending a backhanded chip over the keeper from the left side of the arc.
- The teams stood tied heading into the second quarter, but the Golden Bears scored four times in an 8:49 span to pull away. Dusman tallied at 15:58 to give her team the lead for good before handing off to Sierer for a goal at 22:41. Donato converted a stroke 42 seconds later, and Craley sent in her own rebound at 24:47.
- The Purple Knights put together a sustained offensive threat that began in the 28th minute, with four corner sequences leading to sophomore Bridgie Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston) sending three shots on Dotterweich, each of which was saved, and Puleo seeing a fourth shot blocked. Puleo eventually capped the stretch by taking Richard's entry pass and firing a shot off of a Golden Bear stick and high above the netminder at 28:08, bringing Saint Michael's within 5-2.
- Donato countered seven seconds later and finished her hat trick 29 seconds into the second half.
- After Kutztown added three more markers, the Purple Knights nearly tacked on a third goal, but sophomore Kennedy Richard (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) was stopped by sophomore Shannon Barrett's 58th-minute defensive save before first-year Addy Fenton (Andover, Mass./Phillips Academy) had an initial shot saved by Dotterweich and a second bid denied by first-year Katie Keating's defensive save.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at No. 9 Southern New Hampshire University, 4 p.m.
- The Penmen's national ranking is according to the NFHCA.
- Southern New Hampshire qualified for the 2019 NCAA Tournament.