WORCESTER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team upset regionally-ranked Assumption University, 7-5 in seven innings, on Sunday after losing the opener, 9-8, during Northeast-10 Conference play at Rocheleau Field. The Greyhounds were fourth in this week's New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA) poll and eighth in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region rankings.
- Twelve of the Purple Knights' last 21 games were decided by three runs or less, with 11 losses this year coming by two runs or fewer.
- Saint Michael's not only outscored Assumption, 15-14, during the twinbill but also held a 19-18 edge in hits.
- First-year Nick Lindberg (Dudley, Mass./Marianapolis Prep) picked up his first college win in the nightcap, when senior Sean Birch (Mansfield, Mass./Xaverian Brothers) had his first save.
- Saint Michael's (4-29, 3-17 NE10), Assumption (21-16, 13-7)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Anthony Santosuosso (Arlington, Mass./Arlington), 2-for-5, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 2B
- First-year Filly Santos (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic/Park West), 1-for-4, 1 R, 2 RBI
- Senior John Luke Cianciolo (Guilford, Conn./Guilford/New Haven), 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB
- Sophomore Andrew Lanthier (Orwell, Vt./Fair Haven Union), 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB
- Senior Brady Perron (Orwell, Vt./Lake Region Union), 1-for-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 2B
- Sophomore Brady Clark (Springfield, Vt./Springfield), 1-for-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
- First-year Terence Moynihan (Stoneham, Mass./Saint Mary's), 1-for-5, 1 R, 1 RBI
- First-year Jarret Muzzy (Ferrisburgh, Vt./Vergennes Union), 4+ IP, 4 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 1 K
- First-year Colby Fane-Cushing (Colchester, Vt./Colchester), 2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 0 K in relief
- First-year Maverick King (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 2.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K in relief, loss
- Senior Connor Wironen, 2-for-4, 4 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 1 3B
- Sophomore Owen Podolec, 2-for-5, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 3B, 1 SAC
- Sophomore Jared Berardino, 1-for-5, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Junior Shea Ryan, 3.2 IP, 7 H, 8 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 1 K
- First-year Alexander Meesig, 5.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K in relief, win
- Santos' two-run single keyed a four-run opening frame, when Clark added an RBI knock. All four runs came with two down and were unearned.
- Berardino drove in a run during a two-run home half, and Podolec tripled and scored during a tying two-run second.
- Saint Michael's scored four more two-out, unearned runs in the fourth inning. Santosuosso knocked a two-run double, Moynihan added an RBI single, and Perron stroked a run-scoring double that made it 8-4. However, Meesig came on from the bullpen and allowed only two singles across his 17 batters.
- Berardino scored on a sac fly in the fifth before the Greyhounds scored three times in the bottom of the seventh. Wironen drilled a two-run triple before King got the next two outs, but junior Emilio Acosta's RBI single tied the game.
- In the ninth, Berardino came through with a one-out, bases-loaded single to produce the walk-off win.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Moynihan, 2-for-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 3B
- Clark, 2-for-3, 2 RBI
- Perron, 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 2B
- Cianciolo, 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 HP
- Santos, 1-for-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Senior Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 1-for-3, 2 R, 1 HP, 1 SB
- First-year Jack Menard (Tewksbury, Mass./Tabor Academy), 4 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 6 BB, 3 K
- Lindberg, 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K in relief, win
- Birch, 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K in relief, save
- Berardino, 3-for-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 2B, 1 SB
- Wironen, 1-for-2, 1 R, 2 BB
- Junior Kevin Cox, 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 1 2B
- Graduate student James McNamara, 4 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Senior Trevor Moulton, 1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K in relief, loss
- Sophomore Matthew Gardner, 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K in relief
- Moynihan and Perron knocked back-to-back doubles in the opening inning before Berardino's two-out RBI single tied the game in the home half.
- Sophomore Nate Rogers' (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) two-out RBI knock put Saint Michael's up 2-1 in the second, but Cox's two-out, three-run double gave Assumption the lead in the bottom portion of the frame.
- Junior Christopher Rabias' RBI single pushed the lead to 5-2 in the third.
- Clark picked up an RBI single in the fourth before Santosuosso's sac fly made it a one-run game.
- Saint Michael's plated three runs the following inning, as Santos and Cianciolo came through with consecutive RBI singles with one out before Clark's two-out run-scoring knock provided the visitors a 7-5 lead.
- In the home half of the seventh, Berardino doubled with one down before sophomore Jack Barry drew a walk. Birch fanned the next batter, but another walk loaded the bases. With the tying run on second base and the winning run on first, Birch retired the final Greyhound batter looking on strikes.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. Franklin Pierce University, 1 p.m. doubleheader.
- The Ravens are sixth in the latest NCBWA and NCAA East Region polls.