RINDGE, N.H. - Senior Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins) became the 14th player in Saint Michael's College baseball history to reach 100 career hits on Tuesday as the seventh-seeded Purple Knights lost to No. 2 Franklin Pierce University, 18-1, during a Northeast-10 Conference Championship first-round game at Pappas Field. Moran also drew the starting pitching assignment in the first postseason game in program annals, taking on a Raven squad receiving votes toward the latest National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) national poll. Franklin Pierce advances to Thursday's NE10 Northeast Division semifinal round.
- Saint Michael's (1-23), Franklin Pierce (20-7)
- Senior Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins) entered the sixth inning with 98 career hits before picking up singles in that inning and the eighth, with his 100th hit an opposite-field knock through the right side in his final college plate appearance. Moran tied Dan Doherty '02 for 13th in program history in hits, as 14 players in more than 100 years of baseball at Saint Michael's now have 100 hits.
- Moran was also the starting pitcher for the first postseason game in program history, while Franklin Pierce played its 150th. The Ravens are now 90-60 in those contests while winning 15 postseason titles and making seven College World Series appearances.
- A third baseman, shortstop and pitcher during his career, Moran finished sixth in program history in assists (192), while senior middle infielder Iset Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y./Saint Francis Prep) ends up fifth in assists (201).
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Moran, 2-for-4; 2 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, loss
- Sophomore Brady Perron (Barton, Vt./Lake Region Union), 0-for-0, 1 R, 1 BB
- First-year Mason Dushney (Ashland, Mass./Ashland), 1-for-3, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- First-year Matt Sevigny (Rocky Hill, Conn./Rocky Hill), 1-for-2
- Sophomore Ulysses Luciano (Bronx, N.Y./Riverdale/Kingsbridge Academy), 1-for-4
- First-year Jared Duquette (Morrisonville, N.Y./Saranac), 1 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB
- Senior Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- Senior Dan Favicchio (Massapequa, N.Y./Saint John the Baptist Diocesan), 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- Senior Shane Epps (Queens, N.Y./Saint Francis Prep/Mercy), 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K
- Graduate student James Boria, 4-for-6, 4 R, 4 RBI, 1 2B, 2 HR
- Sophomore Ian Battipaglia, 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBI, 3 BB, 2 3B
- Senior Dylan Jones, 2-for-5, 2 R, 3 RBI, 1 HR
- Sophomore Andres Auffant, 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K
- Moran worked around two walks during a shutout first inning, fanning the Ravens' No. 3 and 5 hitters.
- Luciano led off the second with a single before Dushney walked with two down, as the duo was stranded.
- Franklin Pierce scored six runs on four hits in the home half before plating seven more thanks to six hits in the third. Battipaglia hit an RBI triple in each frame, while Jones knocked a three-run homer and Boria a two-run longball in the third.
- Boria homered leading off a two-run fourth before adding an RBI double in a three-run fifth.
- The Purple Knights threatened in each of the final four innings. Junior John Luke Cianciolo (Guilford, Conn./Guilford/New Haven) walked with one down in the sixth before Moran singled, but a double play ended the inning.
- Sophomore Anthony Santosuosso (Arlington, Mass./Vermont Academy) and first-year Nate Rogers (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) walked in the seventh before the final batter grounded out.
- First-year Danny Rickert (Williston, Vt./Essex) led off the eighth with a walk, but another double play squelched the rally. Moran followed with his 100th hit through the right side with two down.
- In the ninth, Perron led off with a walk before an error left runners at first and second. Dushney followed with a single to center, bringing home Perron. A strikeout and a double play limited the damage.