FORT MYERS, Fla. - Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins) had six hits while coming within one out of a shutout in his college pitching debut to help the Saint Michael's College baseball team open its season with a twinbill sweep of Gallaudet (D.C.) University, 7-2 and 5-2, during a pair of seven-inning affairs on Sunday at Terry Park during the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic.
- Saint Michael's (2-0), Gallaudet (5-10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 4-for-5, R, 2 RBIs, 2 2B
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 1-for-2, R, 2 BB
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 1-for-3, RBI, BB
- First-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 1-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, SB
- Sophomore Zach Rodgers (Parrish, Fla./Manatee), 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, Win
- Senior Max McDowell (Essex Junction, Vt./South Burlington), 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 K (college debut)
- Senior Ryan Gilbert, 2-for-3, R, 2B
- Junior Matt Scuderi, 1-for-3, RBI
- Junior Robersy Delgado, 3+ IP, 8 H, 6 R, 2 ER
- The teams' first meeting since 2001. The Purple and Gold leads the series 6-0.
- Saint Michael's interim head coach Mat Pause first game as a college head coach, and first victory.
- Rodgers carried a no-hitter into the fourth inning while allowing only one of the first 10 batters to reach.
- Oetterer and first-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables) both picked up their first college hit and stolen base.
- Moran's first career four-hit game.
- As the visiting team, the Purple Knights loaded the bases with two down in a scoreless first inning before breaking through on Moran's two-out RBI double in the second, which brought home sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King).
- Saint Michael's plated four more runs thanks to three hits and two errors in the third, with Oetterer's two-run single the big hit. Giroux-Harvey added a two-out RBI knock to make it 5-0.
- Gomez's groundout scored Moran in the fourth.
- The Bison picked up their first three hits in the home half, with Scuderi's two-out double bringing home Gilbert.
- Moran's RBI single pushed the lead to 7-1 in the fifth.
- McDowell came on for his college debut in the seventh, when junior Connor Rosko's sacrifice fly scored an unearned run.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Moran, 2-for-3, 2 R, RBI, 2 2B; 6.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, Win
- Stampler, 1-for-3, RBI, SB
- Sophomore Iset Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y./Saint Francis Prep), 1-for-3, 2 RBIs
- Sophomore Cameron Cuellar (Seminole, Fla./Seminole), 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, K, Save
- Junior Winston Lane III, 2-for-2, R
- First-year Shea Sliva-Wynne, 1-for-3, 2 RBIs
- Sophomore Austin Sliva-Wynne, 6 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 7 K
- Moran had a three-hit shutout going until two were down in the seventh inning of his college pitching debut.
- Cuellar picked up his second career save.
- Every run in the game was scored with two out in an inning.
- After Moran set the Bison down 1-2-3 in the top of the first inning, Saint Michael's scored three runs on three hits in the home half. Oetterer drew a bases-loaded walk before Maldonado came through with a two-run single.
- Moran pitched out of a two-on, two-out situation in the second by inducing a groundout.
- In a 3-0 game, Azpeitia reached on a two-out error in the fourth inning before scoring on Moran's double. Stampler followed by singling home Moran to push the lead to five runs.
- Gallaudet loaded the bases with one down in the seventh on a walk, hit by pitch and infield single before Moran struck out a pinch hitter looking. However, Shea Sliva-Wynne knocked the hurler out of the game by singling in a pair of runs. With the tying run on first base, Cuellar came from the bullpen to fan the final hitter and clinch the victory.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Monday vs. Saint Lawrence (N.Y.) University, 12 p.m. in Fort Myers, Fla.