George "Doc" Jacobs Field (Baseball)

Since baseball was reinstated for the 1990 season following an eight-year absence at Saint Michael's, the program has called the field at the George "Doc" Jacobs Field Complex home. The Doc Jacobs baseball field was officially dedicated on April 10, 1990, when the Purple Knights hosted nearby rival University of Vermont.


Amenities at the field include wooden bleachers behind a chain-link backstop, an electronic scoreboard in right-center field, covered wooden dugouts behind short chain-link fences, and a breakaway outfield fence to cut down on the deep dimensions of the ballpark. The two-story shed behind the backstop serves as both a press box and a storage facility.

The oldest varsity athletic program at Saint Michael's, playing its first season during the College's first year of existence, in 1904-05, the baseball team has played at various locales around campus during the past century. From 1905 until 1949, the squad competed on a field located at the current site of the Chapel of Saint Michael the Archangel, with Founders Hall deep down the right-field line. Balls hit deep into the outfield and onto adjacent Vermont 15 were considered live and in play. On May 2, 1950, a new field opened where the 300s Field is today, with the diamond facing land where the Ross Sports Center is now located. The team played there until 1981.